HAI Experiment - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaResource View Post
And the insults start. When all else fails, throw insults.
You've thrown posted a few pretty insulting things when discussing this topic too (giant cookie?). Let's all try to avoid them in general, OK?

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Keep in mind that 10mpg difference between 32mpg and 42mpg isn't really that huge a difference.
A jump from 32 to 42 is a 31% gain. How is that not a big change in performance terms? That there's diminishing returns to improved mpg in general is pretty much besides the point, isn't it?

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
I'm with you there. It's the people reporting consistently raised averages over time that I wonder about.
That's the best kind. That's what really matters to most of us, I think. Sure, it's nice to talk about theory, and nice to talk about experiments, but nothing beats long-term proof that it really worked for someone. Even if there's a placebo effect (not saying that about WAI/HAI in particular), who cares as long as it produced results? Results are what matter!

Unfortunately, due to the large quantity of variables involved, it's tough to find irrefutable results for either side.

However, I will say this: We have one experiment that squarely shows a real improvement, and have seen links posted by NovaResource to mixed (at best) results where the people doing the tests admit that it is not definitive.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Ahh, but it is something we can measure!

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....32#post6473232
Old 03-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #25
Registered Member

Post removed due to attacking other members
GasSavers_NovaResource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
A jump from 32 to 42 is a 31% gain. How is that not a big change in performance terms? That there's diminishing returns to improved mpg in general is pretty much besides the point, isn't it?
NovaResource keeps posting about a "10mpg" improvement as if it's some crazy unattainable number, but it's only 31%. It's certainly worthwhile and certainly significant, but it's not some crazy pie-in-the-sky achievement. I suppose it would be for a Chevy Nova, though.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
I'm with you there. It's the people reporting consistently raised averages over time that I wonder about.
Those are the ones that I pay attention to. If you use the same pump 3 times in a row and get the same mileage, change one thing on the car and see either a jump or a decrease in mileage over the next couple of tanks THAT is data I can live with.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaResource View Post
The cookie was humor. It was not a personal attack.
I took it as extreme sarcasm. I apologize for misreading it. No tone or inflection.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #29
Registered Member

Member cannot tell the difference between ABA testing and butt dyno.
GasSavers_NovaResource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 AM   #30
Registered Member

Is anybody arguing that WAI has been definitively proved? That's not even the question I really care about at the moment. "Should I bother giving it a shot?" is more my focus.

co de pen den cy