Harbor Freight: Friend or Foe? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What % of Harbor Freight Items Have Been Defective for You?
80-100% 2 5.71%
60-80% 2 5.71%
40-60% 2 5.71%
20-40% 8 22.86%
0-20% 21 60.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
Registered Member

18V Cordless drill - I had a blue one that was junk. I have an orange one that's 5 years old and has remodeled my entire house.

My expensive Craftsman drill was in between the two, but closer to the junk one than the good one.

I've had good success with the simple hand tools - clamps and such.

palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
I've had good success with the simple hand tools - clamps and such.
Paydirt! I need some clamps to make some kitchen cabinets. Thanks!

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

I love Big Lots! TSC is also fun to go to. The critters don't like me going there though. I don't go often, but when I do I always come back with vaccinations for the dogs & cats. If you know how to do it you can give your dog or cat all their vaccinations for under $10. Sure beats going to the vet and overpaying for the shots and paying for an office visit as well.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:40 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
that reminds me, gotta make a trip to big lots, tractor supply, the dollar tree, and home depot tomorrow(all w/in a square mile). oh, and advance auto.
Nice collection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
18V Cordless drill - I had a blue one that was junk. I have an orange one that's 5 years old and has remodeled my entire house.
From Harbor Freight? Cordless stuff is exactly what I would never expect to be decent from there. Mainly, the batteries. I have had cheap cordless drills that were usable but pretty lame, but I never bothered at HF.

Now I've got a couple Black & Decker 24v cordless drills (and a reciprocating saw and a circular saw) that are quite good. The set (except the extra drill and extra batteries) was a birthday gift a few years ago.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

I have a Milwaukee 18v lithium cordless that's fantastic. I only have to charge it about once every few months. I even drilled about a dozen holes in concrete with it once and didn't need to switch batteries. The thing I love about the lithium is that it runs at full power right up until the battery dies.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #16
Registered Member

I wish cordless tool battery packs had a standardized form factor (could differ by voltage, of course). Then you could have third party ones.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 03-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
There are some vaguely standardized form factors. One form factor of the actual plug part is similar/same across a huge variety of tools, then the main body and clip differs. Harbor Freight sells some replacement batteries that fit a variety of their tools as well as other brands.

I have a Craftsman 3.6v driver with a "VersaPak" battery system that was supposed to be standardized, but I think it never went anywhere.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-V.../dp/B0000302V8

The brochure came with a picture of a drill (probably fictional) that took two or three of them at the same time.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
Registered Member

You mean different manufacturers support the one standard? Fantastic! I'll check it out. My cordless drill's down to one good battery pack and it's a brand I bought in Canada (Rona) so I'm not sure how easy getting another one would be.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #19
Registered Member

What about rebuilding your dead battery packs? They've mostly all got the same stuff inside, and even if they don't you can put whatever you want in them. There's professional rebuilders but I'd just try to DIY.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #20
Registered Member

I have thought about that, but never really took the idea seriously. Worth looking into. Know a good source of rechargeable cells other than just dissecting commercial packs? I'll scan my usual places and see what they've got. Good idea.

co de pen den cy