HHO, HFE, HFI myths - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-09-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

HHO, HFE, HFI myths

This is a brief summary of what I have found so far concerning HHO generation, also known as HFE (hydrogen fuel enhancement), and HFI (hydrogen fuel injection).

If you are unfamiliar with what it is or what it can do for you, try this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fuel_injection

Summary:
What has worked for others may not work for you. It seems each cell design has its own characteristics and you will need to experiment.

Efficiency seems best if the voltage is kept low. Many say the best voltage is between 1.5-2 volts, but yours may NOT work at 2 volts or below. This may vary with the type of electrolyte used, plate shape, spacing, water purity, electrolyte purity, and a host of other factors.

Large plate size may not be the best solution. My plates are 1/2" x 5". If the electrolyte becomes discolored, it usually means the plates are being eaten away. A greater number of smaller cells may give the best electrode life.

The efficiency increases with temperature. There MUST be heat generated. Energy is used in the process because ions in the water need to move to carry electricity, and this movement heats up the water.

Amount of gas is NOT proportional to the current. Engines will see a gain in fuel economy and reduced emissions will "as little as 10 amps" for a generator. This does NOT mean the goal is a 10 amp generator; it means we want an efficient generator under 10 amps. Don't do as some have, and just add electrolyte until it reaches 10 amps.

Don't use windshield washer fluid, ethylene glycol, or methanol/ethanol meant as a gas tank additive for the hydrogen generator antifreeze agent. They all contain anti-corrosion inhibitors that will break down your electrolyte.

The small blue aquarium bubblers have a binder that is attacked by weak acid and will crumble easily.

Bill

flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

I was wondering what you would suggest for an anti-freeze agent? Thanks!

-Nate

nsgrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have had good luck with denatured alcohol from Ace hardware. It claims it leaves no residue when used as a fuel. Look in the section that has paint thinners.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

I'm a total boob when it comes to chemistry, but why not use graphite electrodes? Are they not less susceptible to being eaten away?

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

Apparently not. I almost ordered some graphite flat bars, but I saw a number or HHO experimenters, and chemistry pages on the net that say the carbon flakes of as sort of a dust. The chemistry people suggest platinum (yeah, right).

I guess we will have to use stainless until platinum prices drop to $2 an ounce.

Bill
Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

Catalytic converters have platinum in them. Hummm. It needs a stainless steel outer shell.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapdoodle View Post
I have had good luck with denatured alcohol from Ace hardware. It claims it leaves no residue when used as a fuel. Look in the section that has paint thinners.
Walfart sells 91% isopropyl now. Some use this (at least the 100% stuff) as a winter gas additive along with an upper cylinder lube.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote