high mph then glide - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #11
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skale7 View Post
Yeah, yesterday I turned off the engine when coasting, and, well, it didn't turn back on (unless its in park. I missed an important green light for that. If you have an auto, leave it on. I also remember reading that it takes a lot of juice to start the car, so I don't even know if it is economical to turn it off at all.
Were you in N or in drive if it is in Drive it will not turn on but in N it might.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rt0npr0 View Post
Maybe only in the 2000 years and up range.
My 89 celeb, 93 prizm, 96 monte, 97 cutlass all do very very well with EOC'ing
I did say "typical."

I'm not a transmission guy by any stretch, but according to other GasSavers older transmissions had a different pumping system that didn't rely on engine drive for lubricant circulation and could safely EOC. Saturns (at least some models) are fine with it as well.

As I understand it though, the majority of vehicles these days would be at risk. Surprisingly, the manual for my VW specifically forbids it:

Quote:
Coasting downhill with the transmission in Neutral and the engine not operating will result in damage to the Automatic transmission.
You suppose they've had some bad experiences with hypermilers?

The post that mentioned it said "we" EOC, which could be misinterpreted to mean all hypermilers do. I'd rather see this issue raised so newcomers will either err on the side of caution or research whether it's safe for their particular vehicles, than for them to not realize there's a risk and potentially do damage to their transmissions.

Out of curiosity, what do the manuals for the four vehicles you listed say about flat towing?

Rick

Old 08-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #13
Registered Member

I just checked my owners manual and it says taht if your vehicle has an auto transaxle it cannot be flat towed with all wheels on the ground. a tow dolly must be used. found nothng about coasting with engine off. it does say not to turn engine off wile moving especialy at high speeds casue damage to the catalytic converter could happen

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #14
Stay true to the Game!

Coasting with engine off is the same as towing with all wheels on ground.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popimp View Post
Coasting with engine off is the same as towing with all wheels on ground.
Ayup. The warning about the catalytic converter is a new one on me, though. Do we have yet another "gotcha" for EOC P&G??

Rick
Old 08-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #16
Registered Member

Its not worth wrecking your trans over it. Trans are very expensive way beyond what you would save in FE by doing such. Last trans I got was a rebuilt it cost 6,000 dollars total to install. It was in the shop for several days. A brand new one would have cost slightly more. Just let off the pedal and glide that way. What you would save in FE by bumping it to N to Drive or turn engine on and off you would waste in trans cost. Shifting to D to N and coming to a complete stop and shifting back to D would be safe though. Keeping car in N at a stop light will keep your car a few degrees cooler if running A/C.
bfg9000d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #17
Stay true to the Game!

I thought there was no problems going from N to D and back as long as the engine was running, because you would still be getting lubrication.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #18
Registered Member

it was and 89 taurus it was a year old and the transmission was shot. I was on a cross country trip. I know I got royally you know what on paying 6 grand for it. But at the time I was really stuck and it was a really long story to which I dont want to get involved talking about. It was extremely upsetting at the time what I had to go threw to get it fixed.
bfg9000d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #19
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popimp View Post
I thought there was no problems going from N to D and back as long as the engine was running, because you would still be getting lubrication.
i was saying if he left it in drive and switched off the engine instead of putting it in N then turning it off so you can turn it back on again while it is in N. In my car i didnt put it in N on my first attempt at a eoc ( long time ago) and it would not start unless in P or N if that makes any sense its kinda late.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:00 AM   #20
Registered Member

On needs to do some research concerning there AT cars. Sure looking into the manual is a good start. Boards like this one geared twords the car in question and word of mouth will get you the info you really need.

To the member that posted concerning a tarus at. They where known to be bad transmissions. Ford refused for years to drill a 1/8th hole in a casting. It caused a high pressure issue in the tranny and made them shoot craps. After Mazda used the unit in one of there cars with the mod made and no problems. Ford woke up and cured the issue.

To another user here coasting a Mopar mini van. I wouldn't do it. later models have shown they like to chew up transmissions. Its there known weak spot.

Another car I wouldn't EOC in is any late model V6 anything Honda. Be it Accord, Ody, Pilot, TL or Ridgeline. While Honda I4, At's seem to be near bullet proof.

And for goodness sakes AT drives. Keep the fluid changed out in them. And be sure to do the filter if it has one. Yes some AT's dont have a filter. Some just have a screen buried deep in the unit. That is not serviceable.

A little secondary reseach can go a long way.

psy

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote