How to build your own Warm Air Intake (WAI) - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-28-2006, 03:45 AM   #41
Registered Member

Hi jolt-tsp - ?and use a Y with a flapper?

This was a common arrangement back in the days of carburettors especially in the days just b4 the forced introducction of EFI.

A hot air riser tube would come off a heat shield on the exhaust manifold and either it would mix automatically via a big flap valve with the cool air coming into the air cleaner.
This valve was usually move by a diaphragm powered by vacuum which was switch by a temperature vac valve.
When the car was at full operating temperature the flap would be open all the way and when it cools down again a spring snaps it back.
It worked quite well unless some backyard mechanic had been playing around with the mess of vacuum hoses needed to make it work.

On some cars it was a manual change that needed to be done , by sliding a knob on the side of the air cleaner housing . it was usally marked , ?winter / summer?

Since EFI has come to be the computer is able to auto adjust to give suitable mixtures across a wid range of operating conditions and temperatures , so on many cars this intake preheater has been dropped.

As seen elswhere , warm intakes do have some benifit , but I dont think its the holy grail ,, the hotter the mixture the less air and less power ..its good , but up to a point.

We just need to find the happy compromise intake temperature by solid experimentation.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #42
Registered Member

Hot air / cold air / cold gas / warm gas / & on & on...

To all the tinkerers out there :
Do you realize all this adjusting of the temperatures of the air, the fuel, both together, both different...for whatever reason... is really another way to "fool" the engine's ECU?
I don't deny the effects of all this ... but you must realize the effect you are having on the timing curve (for max. BMEP). Before electronics took over the chore of adjusting the timing, we had to "power time" for each change. Now, the ECU will do this for you...providing you remain within the limiting "window" for change! Some systems have a narrower window than others! You can find out how your timing window changes with an old-fashioned timing light (remember them?) and marks painted on your damper pulley (and some simple math to convert degrees to inches/circumference) for TDC & marks (2 degrees?) away from TDC, for advance.
Assuming you've got a Scanguage (or similar device) for showing the instantaneous MPG...a changeable intake (temp.) system can be activated from the driver's position. Later, the effect can be duplicated in the garage by revving the engine to the highway speed...to note where the timing shift ended up ... advance point. Only by doing this step-by-step approach can you determine if the ECU is within its own limits; ie, you won't be wasting your time with a "maxed out" timing shift(the window limit)!
Remember, too hot is dangerous (detonation) and too cold is bad for MPG ( does anyone remember carburetor ice?). -Ted Hart

Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #43
Registered Member

For a more professional look you could use a small intercooler sitting directly over the exhaust manifold. You would put one of the cone filters on one side of the intercooler and place the intercooler on top of the manifold then route the other side into the engine. A small intercooler kit like this might work.
jthistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:39 AM   #44
Registered Member

this thread is 2 years old and HAI has been done about every way possible.... but spending that kinda loot on an intercooler kit for a 1mpg gain? Not very cost effective.

I'm fabbing mine tonight with a total expense of around $13
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:29 AM   #45
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Heh...yeah, we tend not to be about a "professional look" in our cars.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #46

intercooler....haha, more like interfooler! anyways. I think the pressure change across an IC would actually increase your "pumping losses." It would take more throttle to pull the air across the IC than gains would show. You'd be better off custom building intake plumbing with radiator fins to absorb ambient air than use a traditional IC.
almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
this thread is 2 years old and HAI has been done about every way possible.... but spending that kinda loot on an intercooler kit for a 1mpg gain? Not very cost effective.

I'm fabbing mine tonight with a total expense of around $13
The gain on mine was 15% initially. I agree it can easily be done well for a much lower cost. Mine was about $30.
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #48
Registered Member

Gas boils at 95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murat View Post
Perhaps the key is "heat the fuel, cool the air" combo ???

I'm gonna try that...
Gas starts to boil off some of the light end at 95* so if you heat the gas you will possibly start vapor locking very quickly. So I do not think heating the fuel is the answer.
In my drag racing car one of the best things I ever did for performance was to change to a return style regulator so the fuel always kept moving and stayed cooler.
Just a little vapor in the line and it would run lean for a few seconds then rich and never was quite the right mixture. I chased all kinds of problems until one night I saw vapors coming out of the carb when I was putting it on the trailer and the light came on. It was drawing gas and vapors and they are not the same. Changed my fuel system and never had another problem.
Nobody ever told me that and I eventally learned the hard way on my own.
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #49
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murat View Post
Hello Matt

With all due respect, I suppose there is an error in the article concerning the warm air intake...

I have studied physics at college (thermodynamics etc) and worked as a flight dispatcher for 11 years (closely related to meteorology) during all these years I learnt that cold air is much denser than warm, both by means of oxygen and humidity (remember; dew point where humidity densens and becomes fog, is lower than ambient temperature)

I have been told by several saver/misers that cold air intakes improve economy. Furthermore I have been told that chip tuning improves economy given that you do not get tempted to "step on it"

I chenged my filter with a twin venturi cold air direct intake removing the filter box, removed the two mufflers (not the cat) and mounted a Remus glasspack.

Since I habitually do not step on the accelerator pedal, there is no excessive noise and I noticed thru the trip computer that the vehicle started reporting 4.8-5.2 liters / 100 km. from the usual 6.2-6.7 liters/100km. (from 35.10 MPG to 49 MPG) That is an average of a gallon saved every 200 kms (approx 130 miles)

I did not try any flush wheels, skirts and other aerodynamic aides as yet. I plan on getting a complete ground effect kit, lower the vehicle so drag is decreased. I want to prove that fuel saving can also go along with good looks of a car...

Best regards
changing air flow and availability is going to give you better mpg, but cooling your exhaust system off and youre coolant will keep your engine cool and give it more power I think, plus the way I have mine setup, It's act like a suction pump for the air coming into the car, because I have my front sealed, and deflect air aerodynamically around my car from a few mods, so leave your vent open and with a war air intake that pulls in air from under the car, pulls the car forward, I have also drilled other holes in my air box, so I think I'm getting extra air in(even though I duct taped over it) which reduced pumping losses at high rpms
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #50
Banned

this is all a maybe, I don't condone putting aluminum foil in your engine bay, aluminum does conduct electricity.

Be Careful

go Plastic

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote