Hybrid truck idea - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hybrid truck idea

Just going through some ideas in my head to make my F350 diesel more efficient. It has the 6 speed manual transmission that has PTO ports. This idea will include an electric drive motor. 48v with battery bank. Also, it's just a rough idea, I don't know if the gears for this would be strong enough or if the electric motor could withstand free spinning as I'm imagining.

My idea would have the electric motor provide it power through the PTO port and would only be activated from engine idle speed to about 1400 RPM where my turbo boost starts to kick in where it could be turned off. Really only use it to assist getting the truck moving. It would also start the truck at stop lights and such to reduce idle time.

Of course getting the motor connected to the PTO might be a challenge, if I can even fit the electric motor under there. My thoughts are if I can eliminate the fuel drain starting from a dead start, I could boost the city mileage but still have my "truck" to tow the toyhauler on the weekends.

Tell me reasons why this wouldn't work or ideas to improve it.

Side note, I'll be getting the batteries anyway. Planning on a 48vdc solar air conditioning system for the rv with the batteries mounted in the bed anyway (not enough room in rv for that many batteries). In the dreaming/planning stage

JohnnyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

The new Ram truck works that way with 48V, it's a very clever system. It was voted the Ward's 10 best engine in 2018. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UdKGZM66dg

I believe BorgWarner already came up with a Integrated Drive Module that you can buy and install for your vehicle. EV West has a bunch of videos on YouTube showing how to convert your car to electric, they usually use used Tesla batteries from totaled cars. If you have the time and money, then why not.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Interesting about the Ram. Would have liked more details but interesting. Was kind of expecting higher mileage from a factory set up, but shows me my general idea is feasible and works. With the kind of driving I do I think I might even get better because om interested in the city side of driving and theirs was overall. Highway I expect little gain except for the getting up to speed so probably wouldnt see an increase.
Still need to look into the BW thing you mentioned to get some ideas on connecting it.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2019, 12:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

You're talking about a mild hybrid setup? Lots of these flooding the market at the moment, the batteries are small, small enough to be able to fit in the cabin rather that take up cargo or engine space, so don't expect huge gains. They drain very quick but charge quick too. Suzuki have an identical set up but with petrol engines, my uncle has one. I don't know all the technical pros and cons, honestly with the small gains expected, I wouldn't imagine the time and money would ever be gained back, although by the sounds of it, it's more experimental and something you would enjoy as a project then go for it.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
Registered Member

Well, Ive been doing the stop start thing as an experiment. I dont want to drain my batteries and get stranded at an intersection so only been shutting down when I know I'll be at light for the full cycle. My numbers werent 100% accurate, too short of time, but I did boost my mpg from 15 to 17. 13% increse. So... Im guessing if this could come together as Im thinking, Id have the engine shut down more time and I'd save fuel on dead starts.
My current driving situation at 13% only saves me 2-3 gallons a week so no, it wouldn't be worth it, but one can dream.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

"How much time does it take an idling engine to use the same amount of fuel as starting an engine? The answer is 7 seconds."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFImHhNwbJo

This video is very interesting explaining how much fuel you are saving by shutting off your engine. If I were you, I would keep and eye out on a new Ram truck that has been totaled and you could get the starter, battery and electric motor / transmission from it for very cheap.