Idle time during cold weather - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

Idle time during cold weather

Has anyone experimented with idle time during cold weather (without a block heater?)

I usually start the car, wait about 10-15 seconds and drive away. My logic being that the engine will warm up faster if I put load on it, and it would wear less than letting a cold engien idling and warm up way slower...but I never thought about which uses more fuel.

Maybe the engine would use less fuel if I let it warm up at idle for 1-2 minute, and use less fuel if I only drive if after???

mmhh...

BTW I'd love a block heater but its not worth the price now, this is my car's last winter, I want a beater civic or tercel hehe

Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

what i always hear is that from an FE perspective it's best to drive off slowly right away... take it easy on the engine. after all when it's really cold it's not just the engine that needs to be warmed up but allso all the lubrication in the bearings and the transmission... the heat to do this will come from friction when the car is moving... wich is not good news for FE but there's no way around it.

a grillblock is a cheap way to air your warmup slightly and if it's cold the risks of overheating ar minimal.

so my advice it to avoide idle whenever possible

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

I got a large sheet of plastic aat home, I think I'm going to cover half my my radiator or something.
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Registered Member

I drive mine as soon as the rpm's settle, which takes a few seconds at most.
Just take it real easy for the first few miles, if the driveway is flat I usually don't even give it gas for the first 20-30 seconds but in gear it is and I'm off.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

yea you wanan keep the rpm's as low as possible, the thicker oil has to be pushed thru the tiny oil jets and most liekly there isnt enough. thats why most engine wear is start up because there is no oil lube.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

When its really cold, I like to crank the engine until the oil light goes off- usually 8-9 seconds. That way at least the main and rod bearings are getting oil. Then I pump the gas pedal once and it fires right up. Of course this pre-lube starting technique only works on a car with a carb.

A fuel injected car usually fires up immediately- I guess the guys with the injector cut off switch could use my cold start tactic.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Unless I need the defroster running, I drive off immediately, paying no special attention to rpm beyond normal hypermiling by trying to keep them low.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
Has anyone experimented with idle time during cold weather (without a block heater?)

I usually start the car, wait about 10-15 seconds and drive away. My logic being that the engine will warm up faster if I put load on it, and it would wear less than letting a cold engien idling and warm up way slower...but I never thought about which uses more fuel.

Maybe the engine would use less fuel if I let it warm up at idle for 1-2 minute, and use less fuel if I only drive if after???

mmhh...

BTW I'd love a block heater but its not worth the price now, this is my car's last winter, I want a beater civic or tercel hehe
How cold is it where you are?

We've been very cold, and that's a judgement call now isn't it, and I'm looking for a couple minutes of warm up time. But I really need that.

Movement will generate load, but it will also generate air movement across the block, etc.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I would start looking at the scangauge engine temp and like suggested just take off without any gas. You auto guys have it tough however and at least park so you don't have to back up to start off. Have friends that park nose in and have to back up a steep driveway and turn around when the engine is racing - talk about working the power steering and banging the tranny around in an automatic!! OUCH!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
I give it 10-20 seconds for oil to circulate and un-congeal from the cold then go easy on it. darn thing warms quick but barely stays warm anyway why bother trying to warm it up.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote