Installed 75% grille block on my Blazer *pics* - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Installed 75% grille block on my Blazer *pics*

I've been planning this for a couple months, and finally got around to it. Grille blocked 75% on my '94 Blazer. Temps were around 45 degrees last night on the first drive since the install, the engine temp stayed @ 185 degrees just like it wasn't blocked. I used the well talked about coroplast to make the block, held in with black zip ties. The spot I left open is where the tranny cooler is mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4715.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1383   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4716.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1384   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4718.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1385   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4719.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1386  

CHVYPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Old 10-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'd carry a pair of dikes (diagonal cutters) in the truck with me for a few weeks just in case it starts to act funny on you.

safety never hurts.

it does look good though

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

did you save on gas with this(increase in mileage)?
GasSavers_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

Brendan,

it is odd that you would ask this question in a thread that is 8ish months old and that you would ask someone that hasn't made a post on this forum in 6ish months.

I can't say for the OP (original poster) but most of us that have done grill blocks have seen pretty good gains from it. many have used cardboard, coroplast, plexi-glass, even duct tape to construct theirs. a few of us (myself included) went the route of a more permanent solution like bondo and fiberglasss. I did start with plexi-glass to make sure my motor wouldn't overheat.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:29 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I don't think I've had any gains from it on my VW or my GMC, but I can't say for sure.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

I think the gains I had from the grille block on my 1998 Sierra were related to the vastly increased intake air temps, not from any aero improvement.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
Registered Member

Beef, I appreciate your concern. Thank you. I just figured that if your going to tape or zip tie a bunch of plastic to your car, one would want to test and know if it is actually saving any gas.
This thread could be revived and become the most popular thread on this webpage, unlikely, but possible. Maybe the poster will be jarred out of their gassavers.org retirement?
GasSavers_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Registered Member

He is not the first person to try grille blocking; I'd venture to say it is the most common modification that anyone tries. There should be plenty of threads.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0157303...king&sa=Search

http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&c...ocking&spell=1
Old 07-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Registered Member

brendan,

here is a write up of what metrompg had to say about grill blocking.

Grill blocks have two purposes. The first is it cut down on aerodynamic drag by limiting the amount of air that enters the engine bay. The second is to allow the engine/transaxle (fwd vehicles) to warm up more quickly and retain more heat in the colder months by reducing excessive airflow through the engine compartment in colder months.

Grill blocks come in many forms, though most often they are made to be flush with the outside of the bumper for greatest benefit. Simply inserting a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator does not provide the same aerodynamic benefit.

While grill openings are usually oversized for "worst case" applications (towing a trailer through Death Valley with the A/C on), obviously care must be taken to monitor coolant temperature. If your cooling fan runs more after installing a block, you've gone too far. So, pay attention to your temp gauge and making your grill block easy to remove.

since you are pretty new to the gassaving thing, here is a pretty good read to get you started and maybe give you some ideas

http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-econ...ifications.php

many times spammers would respond to a post that is sometimes years old and when they have tested the waters they would spam the site. sorry for the knee jerk reaction. it can be extremely difficult sometimes to tell someones true intentions on the web.