Installing an Aqua-tune today... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourthbean View Post
I was considering putting THIS together to see if it has any affect on my car. The only problem I see is that I run my engine at a vacuum of about 5 and then glide with the engine off. So there would be much more water coming in at idle (18 vacuum) than when I actually needed it.

I may try putting it in and trying it with a different driving style and see what happens.

That looks like a pretty good design, and for the low cost ya really can't beat it. I'd go for it if I were you.

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:41 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
The only problem I see is that I run my engine at a vacuum of about 5 and then glide with the engine off. So there would be much more water coming in at idle (18 vacuum) than when I actually needed it.
put the vacuum line before the throttle body, so that you wouldn't be drawing a massive vacuum at idle, then taper off as you accelerate. Instead it would be the other way around. almost no vacuum at idle and as you open up the butterfly, it will suck more in

Pyrorocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #13
Registered Member

Ahh, so that's how you do it. I think I read a rambling about that when researching but had forgot. Problem is getting a line in there I guess. I suppose I could drill a hole in my air cleaner and mount a bit of tubing there.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
Supporting Member

unstable bob -

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable bob View Post
D0 TELL! DO TELL!
He had a 1980's Plymouth Trailduster with stock carburetor. He installed an Edelbrock water injection system. He can't remember the MPG gain, but the emissions dudes were flabbergasted because they had never seen a car run cleaner. He also fiddled with the carburetor's "needles"(????), so maybe he figured out the sweet spot.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Ahh, so that's how you do it. I think I read a rambling about that when researching but had forgot. Problem is getting a line in there I guess. I suppose I could drill a hole in my air cleaner and mount a bit of tubing there.
Hopefully you didn't do this yet, as I have tonight. It just didn't suck near the amount of vacuum that I thought it would to even make mine bubble. So I plugged it, and connected it to one after the throttle body and made it bubble from idle, to WOT (from what I can see). Engine ran fine with no problems at all. It was definitely getting water vapor too, as you could see steam come out the exhaust if you revved it up.

I can take some pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see how I did mine. I took it off until I fill up my tank tomorrow then we can do some MPG calculations on a new tank.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
I had tried this... I even made a venturi type nozzle.... There's just not enough vacuum to suck (unless the water level is above the injection point -- highly inadvisable) and the air velocity (even at high rpm) wasn't high enough for the venturi to work :/ I put my hole in the tube between the filter box and throttle body (where air velocity would be higher meaning slightly lower pressure).

I did something that cost less than $10.... Brass gate valve, aquarium tubing and a plastic container. Connect one end to a vac port (cut a add a tee if necessary) and put the other end in the plastic container -- then open the valve a tine TINY bit to regulate flow....

I got really fancy and added two nipples on my container -- one with a downspout to pick up water - the other to equalize pressure.

Mind you, passive water injection downstream of the throttle plate is an inherent vac leak.

-----
My results

Presumable clean interior
Statistically Insignificant FE change -- unverifiable without SG
Heat + vacuum imploded my water container as the water level dropped...

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:02 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Mind you, passive water injection downstream of the throttle plate is an inherent vac leak
I was surprised when my idle didn't change when I connected my setup tonight. I thought that it would create a vac leak too and cause it to idle high, but nope, no change.

what kind of plastic did you use, that it crushed it.....? a soda bottle?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #18
Registered Member

trebuchet03

I had thought about it not being enough to pick the water up out of the container. But with the design I linked to they actually had a line going from outside the bottle to an "air stone" under the water, this would be the only way for air to get into the container. Then they had the tube going from inside the bottle (above the water line) over to the vacuum port. The question still remains though, will it be able to pull anything up and will it just be air or will the air stone cause some variation of mist in the container for it to inject to the engine.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:58 AM   #19
Registered Member

oh it pulls a lot of air up through the water, which draws moisture into the air. You can definitely tell there is some vapor getting into the engine.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:17 AM   #20
Registered Member

Pyrorocketeer

What design did you use for your dealimiboper. I think I missed the post about you saying you had put one in your car. I see it now