Installing an Aqua-tune today... - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
Keep an eye on the oil...

thats what i was thinkin too, do too much and your gonan thin the oil and cause seized engine... no engine cylynder is 100% airtight. especially older ones, more blowby.

that and i dunno, sure it might work in theory, but water and metal usually doesnt =good. especially the fine machined smooth walls of a cylinder....

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #32
Registered Member

Yup, yup. I'd be more worried about oil contamination than hydrolocking the engine. In my younger, even more stupiderist (believe it or not) days, I poored quite a bit of water into my intake manifold before I realized what the heck I was doing. Long story short, I just turned over the engine so it would dump most of the water out into the exhaust then gave it a bunch of pedal and started it up. Had it rev at ~2-3k rpm for a few minutes then took it for a drive. No harm no foul AFAIK.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
that and i dunno, sure it might work in theory, but water and metal usually doesnt =good. especially the fine machined smooth walls of a cylinder....
You get plenty of water in there just by burning hydrocarbons

Quote:
water expands 1600 times when it changed to steam which adds to the pressure in the cylinder giving you more power.
At the cost of heat -- a phase change like that requires a helluva lot of heat... More heat going into phase change will mean lower temperatures = less thermal efficiency. (ideally, you'll have lower temperatures and more entropy to yield equivalent efficiency). That is unless you're dealing with an engine that has problems with knock and compensates by adding more fuel. That assumes the engine management is monitoring knock

The theory that makes the most sense to me (when you're not doing this to prevent pre-ignition) is that water displaces available O2 effectively reducing the fuel required to maintain ~14:1 a/f.

------
Keep in mind that the reason water injection was used on WW2 planes is directly a result of engine knock. The choice was to go with a less powerful engine, or increase power with water injection. So yes, it was done then - but for different reason

I remember coming across an SAE paper (or a book from the library ) on WI from the 80's or something like that.... Going off of memory, I think their testing found an increase in unburnt fuel emissions, a reduction in NOx and no appreciable change in CO2 emissions. I'll have to see if I can find the specifics and a citation

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #34
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
I just filled up today, and am resetting my ECM to give it one more shot w/ the Aquatune. I was still down 3-4 mpg on the last tank, but I did do quite a bit more around town driving than I usually do, so I don't want to split hairs. I just picked up some software that will allow me to alter my fuel and timing curves, so I'm considering the benefits of the H20 injection when I begin my tuning experiments. But I'd really like to see the Aquatune stand on it's own merits, too.

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 AM   #35
Registered Member

I think the aquatune main problem is nobody really knows how much water is split into hydrogen. Supposedly there is a mix of H20, H2 & O2. I moved on since to work with Joe Cells which splits a much higher amount of water & it doesn't inject water into the engine.
http://video.google.com/url?docid=16...8GXUwQpdLjXbAA

My car usually doesn't work well with scientifically good ideas (air intake, hydrogen injection, higher octane gas) because of the computer i think. I wish there was a way to hack the ECU.

Also for hydrogen to work properly it needs a lower compression engine because high compression ratio of hydrogen will cause predetonation. I had a 10-1 which might of caused the aquatune to drop mileage. 9-1 is the good limit

When aquatune say a high frequency tuning fork breaks water it makes me wonder if they are stupid or just lying. However One guy in Ohio did find a way to burn salt water when a certain radio frequency is ran thru it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGg0ATfoBgo
ProtonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 AM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
I just filled up today, and am resetting my ECM to give it one more shot w/ the Aquatune.
Any updates on this project unstable bob? Would like to hear how it turned out for you before I entertain this one. Thanks.
-jeff
jeffreymccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymccoy View Post
Any updates on this project unstable bob? Would like to hear how it turned out for you before I entertain this one. Thanks.
-jeff
If you look at my gas log you will see my MPGs went on a downward spiral since I stopped using additives and the Aquatune. Today I filled up and hooked the Aquatune back up, so we'll see how it does. I didn't have a chance to mix up any acetone+ additive, so this tank I'm on now will be a test of just the Aquatune and undoctored gas.

www.unstablebobgable.com

Old 11-17-2007, 09:42 AM   #38
Registered Member

would this work (probably not but i'd like to find something that's so simple i might actually be able to build it).

here's the setup

carbed engine, carb has a spare vacuum line.

might it somehow work to connect the nozle of a window cleaner spray bottle (the ones whith a trigger upperated pump), to this vacuum like, and have the vacuum suck a bit of water trought the nozle?...

i'm affraight the answer will be NO, but in essence it's just another carb no?

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #39
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Well, I just filled up today, and got my best MPG EVER on the last tank.
I went one fillup w/ the Aquatune hooked up that was about the same as running w/o it, then I got this really good MPG fillup. I did have a long, slow, easy trip to NY on that tank, so we will have to see if the MPG will be repeatable.

www.unstablebobgable.com

Old 11-25-2007, 04:11 PM   #40
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Filled up again today, and had 34.96 MPG outa the last tank. Hmmm, since hooking up the Aquatune again I've had one low MPG tank and two high MPG tanks. The one thing I did different this time is I didn't pull the ECM fuses to reset the computer when I hooked up the Aquatune again. I dunno, but I'm glad I'm getting good MPGs again!

www.unstablebobgable.com