Isopropyl Alcohol - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-04-2008, 05:32 AM   #51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
MMOil is basically mineral spirits, white gas, and trichloromethane/ethane (or similar)...

So, varsol, coleman fuel and typists correction fluid thinner (Used to be that, haven't checked lately)

Seafoam is like varsol and isopropyl.

I dunno when people are gonna start believing me and just start using generic varsol, isopropyl and kerosene to clear crap out the motor instead of buying all this overpriced crap.

Edit: Hmmm yeah, dunno if anyone noticed, but practically NONE of the constituents of MMO have any significant lubricating abilities.
i haven't seen vaesol for sale ,,where you get it ?

COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:41 AM   #52
Registered Member

It's the brand name mineral spirits, brush cleaner, paint thinner kind of stuff. Mineral spirits will do, find it at hardware and paint stores.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
It's the brand name mineral spirits, brush cleaner, paint thinner kind of stuff. Mineral spirits will do, find it at hardware and paint stores.
Oh,,, i have a mix using that
Old 07-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #54
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMP View Post
Ok ,,i think there is a difference i know ATF doesn't work as good in my air tools
You've put ATF in your air tools?

Quote:
I dunno when people are gonna start believing me and just start using generic varsol, isopropyl and kerosene to clear crap out the motor instead of buying all this overpriced crap.
They're not buying varsol, isopropyl, and kerosene. They're buying marketing, packaging, and convenience, just like someone buying a $160 ScanGauge II instead of a $30 ELM327 to use with a salvaged laptop. It's well worth it for most people and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:53 AM   #55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
You've put ATF in your air tools?

They're not buying varsol, isopropyl, and kerosene. They're buying marketing, packaging, and convenience, just like someone buying a $160 ScanGauge II instead of a $30 ELM327 to use with a salvaged laptop. It's well worth it for most people and there's nothing wrong with that.
yes i have ,,,2-3 drops
Old 07-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #56
Registered Member

I put 3 oz MMoil in with 10 oz acetone...shook it...then found that 1 of the 3 oz of MMoil was not left in the bottom layer. This tells me that 2/3s of MMoil is an oil...the rest is a solvent that blends with acetone.

I use MMoil not because it is a magic elixor...but because it is convenient for testing...I'd also use mineral oil (baby oil)...2 cycle oil...ATF??....maybe even vegetable oil...where it would act as both a fuel and as a lube.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 AM   #57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeventura View Post
Well in the interest of research I just added 3.4 oz of 91% isopropyl alcohol and 0.7 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to a 17.8 gallon tank of gas unleaded.

Since I am super anal about stats of my last 7 or 8 tankfuls, if there is even a 5% improvement I will know and report it here.

I drive back and forth to work the same way everyday with little change.

Just a small request from some of you veterans of this website, as you will read in the message above, no abbreviations, no shorthand, etc.
MMoil means nothing to folks you are new here, take the extra 5 seconds required to be clear and everyone will appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!

P.S. ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid

The addition of the above resulted in zero increase (actually 0.5 mpg decrease) but such a small change could be the result of almost anything but surely did not result in any measurable positive change.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:45 AM   #58
Registered Member

As mentioned (?) I'm currently testing iso/MMoil in an EFI....no results yet.

Very possible that the iso will work best with a carbed engine that might be running a little rich?

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #59
Registered Member

You could, but you have to look

Isopropyl or "rubbing" alcohol can be used as a cleansing additive, however, isopropyl alcohol is sold in stores usually being 70% or 91% alcohol with the remaining part water. You don't want water in your system, but i am sure a racing fuel retailer would sell it 99.99% pure (the highest you can get). Also, it might bring down your FE due to the fact that alcohol contains less energy per gallon than gasoline, but with the small amount you would be using, I wouldn't see a problem there. By the way, you will often read or hear about drivers who say their FE decreases with the use of E10/E85, including me. Lol
hound_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #60
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound_13 View Post
Isopropyl or "rubbing" alcohol can be used as a cleansing additive, however, isopropyl alcohol is sold in stores usually being 70% or 91% alcohol with the remaining part water. You don't want water in your system, but i am sure a racing fuel retailer would sell it 99.99% pure (the highest you can get). Also, it might bring down your FE due to the fact that alcohol contains less energy per gallon than gasoline, but with the small amount you would be using, I wouldn't see a problem there. By the way, you will often read or hear about drivers who say their FE decreases with the use of E10/E85, including me. Lol

You can get fairly pure IPA at hardware stores in the paint thinner section.