Isopropyl Alcohol - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Isopropyl Alcohol

with ethanol(E10) almost fully integrated into our filling stations, i keep hearing about isopropyl alcohol. can it be used as a safe additive(fuel cleaner) and perhaps increase FE?

i did have great increases in FE w/ acetone, but now to debate its results is a moot point since ethanol negates its affect. i did confirm that in my testing as well.

so, is isopropyl safe enough to test? might it have a positive affect on FE? if so, why would E10 not keep fuel systems clean and increase instead of decrease FE?

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
so, is isopropyl safe enough to test? FE?
http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/....aspx#features
Absorbs 5 times more water than regular gas-line antifreeze. Recommended for fuel-injection engines. Safe for catalytic converters and oxygen sensors. Use in all engines including 2-cycle or diesel engines.

Does that sound safe? MSDS linked on that page will tell you it's 99% isopropanol (another name for isopropyl alcohol) and I'd put $1 on the 1% proprietary additive being water

Edit: Oh by the way, grocery/drug store stuff don't go below 70% concentration. Holds it's water in solution in gasoline down to about 68% IIRC, if you wanna use it in winter, go up to the 91 or 99% for best antifreeze benefits.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

I've heard it mentioned that it is a good idea to use something like MMOil in the gas also to lube the fuel pump.

Also...I intend to test 24 oz canola and 3 oz 91% iso per 10 gallons...a promising combo where the canola is supposed to burn and lube and the iso boosts power some.

I'm afraid it might smoke a lot though.

I tested 4-5 oz 91% iso and it gave more power for sure.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
You're going to put canola into a gasoline engine? I'm rather skeptical...
Old 05-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

There's some theory about it making metallic soap surface lubes and bonded polymer coatings, personally, I call that sludge
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
I've added 4oz of 91% iso alcohol and 4oz of used motor oil into a push lawnmower tank of gas with minimal smoke. 8oz of oil did cause smoke but still ran.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Don't foul up your cat with all that extra oil added - I would think that caster oil would be better since it is a good two stroke lube.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
Registered Member

24 ounces of canola per 10 gallons? That's nutty. What's the science behind this? What's it supposed to do? It's certainly more oil than you'd ad for any upper cylinder lube.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
Registered Member

Exactly, I can see using a couple or three ounces, but unless you're trying to "cure" an accidental tankfull of E85 in a non-flexfuel vehicle, I'd say that much is overkill and may gunk up your motor quickly. On the metal soap and polymer coating thing, that seems like something you want as an occasional treament, not being made in dozen ounce quantities for every tankfull.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:59 AM   #10
Registered Member

The info I'm referencing is here:

http://www.mpgresearch.com/forum/vie...&sd=a&start=30

"I'm currently doing 1qt to a daytona tank (13 or 14 gallons). Plus Acetone at 3oz per 10gal.

I used just soy veggy oil last 3 times to brake the myth about canola oil. Paid 1.25 a qt at Biglotts.

Filled up 3 days ago and we had 40's at night and 70's to low 80's during the day and my tank average display is showing 30.1mpg. It is normally at least 4mpg off from the actual.

Other sucesses here at work:

Ford festiva was 38 now 44

Late Jeep wrangler 2.5L was 15 to 16, now 18 to 20."

These last two are 38 % and 22% mpg gains. The iso would maybe help offset the ethanol issue. I still say SMOKE though. Good idea to pull a plug and check for oil?

Final analysis? use DUE DILIGENCE...some of the stuff I post is hypothetical.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote