Larger gas tank for CRX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-12-2008, 03:29 AM   #1

Larger gas tank for CRX

I do a lot of extended highway driving, and I am looking into a larger tank for my "new" CRX. Will the newer Civic tanks fit? They are supposed to be 13.2 gallons - my current tank is 11.9 gallons. With over 50? a gallon difference in some spots, it will MORE than pay for itself in the additional savings if I can get another 40 or 50 miles between gas stops, not to mention fewer stops along the way.

And are any of the available tanks plastic? I saw another thread where someone wanted to put the Insight tank in their Honda. I'd be up for a plastic or composite tank as well - the less chance of rust to introduce into the fuel system the better.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

Fitment is going to be a major issue. Unlike old cars more modern cars have weirdly shaped tanks to fit optimally against the underside of the car. The odds the newer tanks will be shaped the same is pretty low.

this tank is what is in your CRX, it also fits the 2-dr Civics of the same generation.

this tank fits the '92 Civics, as you can see the filler & pump locations are very different.

EDIT: http://rockauto.com/ has a really great parts lookup system, and will even tell you what other cars that part fits. I strongly recommend it as a place to cross-reference stuff. Their prices are pretty good (though the shipping generally bring them back in line with the local places around me).

Think inside the Box!
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

You could probably have a shop custom enlarge the tank for you. Don't know how much that would cost or the extra room available around the CRX tank.

The other option would be to add a second tank (fuel cell) in the trunk and use a switcher like trucks with two tanks use. You would need one that vents properly to keep the fuel smell out of the car.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

that seems like a lot of trouble for only about one extra gallon of fuel. I would go with the fuel cell if you could get away with the space. add an extrta 5 to 8 gallons.

a lot of cars are designed to go under 500 miles on a tank. I would love to have a 20 gal tank in the old cavalier. that would be awesome. I just can't see putting a lot of money into my car.

good luck on the search.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #5

Thanks for the pics on the different tanks. The problem is that nothing will "cross-reference" with the CRX because it will only find identical tanks, not significantly larger ones, not to mention can't find a plastic (or composite, basically not metal) one.

It's not looking for one extra gallon of fuel room - looking for several if I can help it. Imagine a CRX with 50+ MPG and a 16-18 gallon tank. I believe I can achieve that with my current automatic. I asked if there were even a slightly larger tank that would fit that someone knew about - that is the least work for any gain.

The major benefit lies in being able to fill up for about 50-75 cents per gallon less when needed. I drive a LOT of highway miles each year and am custom-fitting the CRX for this, including more comfy seats, among other things.

Working on a stick CRX with 80+ MPG capability in the future, have done the math and it's easily possible with off-the shelf parts and a good mechanic to regear the transmission.

Have looked into fuel cels and would like to avoid them if possible. Fuel cel is basically the same as the dual-tank setup. Familiar with the 2-tank systems in some trucks and vans and would like to avoid that.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #6

Bump. I would like to outfit my CRX with a long-range tank, preferably 16-20 gallons, 20+ being ideal, a single tank, one that will fit underneath the vehicle, but don't want to add the external tank or fuel cell.

Anyone know of a solution? Willing to listen to ideas, including shrinking the spare wheel well in the trunk, but must be a single tank that can hook to the normal fuel gauge.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Registered Member

I don't know how you would get anymore fuel in CRX without spending big time money. It doesn't sound like you would be willing to plop a tank in the back...
30mpgsorbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

i do not see any advantage in adding a bigger tank. first it will be an added weight which you probably wont want and im sure you're not running any kind of endurance race. so what savings will you really get from 2 additional gallons of gas? from my guess you'll save probably less than $0.25 from that extended stop between fill ups.
unless the bigger fuel tank increases your fuel economy this mod will just be a big waste of money.

keep in mind when you fill up when its cheaper you'll also have to fill up with the cost is higher.

cheapest solution is carry a 5gallon jug or larger in your trunk.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #9
Registered Member

no no no DO NOT carry used fuel containers in your car longer than just to fill it up and bring it back home...(when its empty and it heats up you might as well have a bomb back there)

yea i cant see you saving much more than a nickel by being able to go those extra miles between fill ups...

it is nice having a huge tank with a small engine but like others haev said it sucks majorly to fill up...

my s-10 has a 20 gallon tank with a 2.2L 4 banger and i can go 500 miles easy 600 if i push it... BUT then thats 20 gallons @ $4 a gal = $80 per fill...

now my chevette has a 13 gal tank, from E i can put in like 45 bucks and be overfilled.

if you wanan go farther keep squeezing the trigger till the gas comes up to the fill neck, can easily hold 1-2 gallons in mine...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:36 AM   #10
Registered Member

have a tank made that also cleans up the aero in the rear

COMP is offline   Reply With Quote