Lean burn cooldown/ Water injection? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Usually the loss of power is just the lean burn requiring more throttle because you cut back on the fuel when leaning the A/F mix and to maintain the needed power levels you have to add more air to get the fuel flowing again at the leaner ratio and you should net higher MPG as an end result. If you don't have a NET MPG increase then you are running too lean and not saving fuel - probably because the fuel is not burning completely.

The lean burn should not hurt the valves too much as long as you are not pushing high horse power levels since they are designed to run hot. Just watch out for high head temperatures or over heating. Water injection can cool things a little since the valves get cooled by the incoming air mix. Also lower RPMs will reduce the exhaust valve temps by allowing the fuel to burn in the cylinder before the exhaust valve opens where as at high RPMs the fuel is dumped out still burning past the quicker opening exhaust valve.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
You lost me on this one?

I'm running three Wideband O2 sensors and all three read the same.

I agree with your statement above and that's what happen when I advance the timing, my exhaust temps dropped.

My quote from above.
Does the output of the wide band O2 sensor MATCH the calibration of the A/F ratio gauge?? You need to know the O2 output at a given A/F ratio to see if it matches the gauge at the same A/F ratio.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
Registered Member

Good news, JanGeo.
I'm going to get a temp gauge, and take a baseline of my head[s], and exhaust (< if the gauge can do it), after running at 65 for a while to get a baseline, and then take them again after leaning it, and advancing the timing.
What would you all suggest the temp change limit should be?
The engine was designed [by Porsche] for performance, and redline is at 7K rpm, so I assume it's built to get hot. I've actually never heard of someone burning a valve on the forums specific to the engine (KLDE, KLZE). I'll ask specifically, though. There's a drag racer that races his at around 10,000 rpm almost weekly, and has had it up to 12,000. I imagine that gets hot!

And, the cool thing is that I ONLY lean it at idle (15.5:1), and cruising. If it does get hot, I can just slow down, where the AFR is about 15:1 (54mph).
fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Does the output of the wide band O2 sensor MATCH the calibration of the A/F ratio gauge?? You need to know the O2 output at a given A/F ratio to see if it matches the gauge at the same A/F ratio.
To keep it very simple my answer is yes, all three match the output to their calibration.

All three sensor have their own controller and gauge and are independent and have nothing to do with each other.

1)PLX controller with gauge running through the Neptune scaling preset PLX.

2)Innovate LMA Aux-3 box running through its own controller and gauge.

3)Haltech Halwin v1.89 setup in O2 Calibration to scale. Set for lean burn 20+ A/F ratio's

Edit: Why do you think my A/F gauges with controllers are not accurate?????????