Long term Ethanol use and FE effects. - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
This is more for me to track the use of ethanol and the effect on FE and car and have it in one place. I've been currently running E15 with no appreciable decrease in FE. My plan is to slowly increase the ethanol on each fill by 10% until reaching E85. Once I've reached running 100% E85(or CEL) I'll see about making adjustments and see what the minimum effect on FE I can reduce it to. The break even point cost wise would be a 12% decrease in FE at the current prices. I'll be posting tanks and observations here. Just filled with E20. I'm going to use 44.0 MPG as the base.
Finished out the tank of E20. 454@ 43.2 MPG. Pretty happy with the tank.This tank was without the boattail and rear undertray. Drivability was normal the timing sensor advance the timing 2 degress from the prvious tank. Filled with E30 on this tank.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Finished out the tank of E20. 454@ 43.2 MPG. Pretty happy with the tank.This tank was without the boattail and rear undertray. Drivability was normal the timing sensor advance the timing 2 degress from the prvious tank. Filled with E30 on this tank.

Finished up a tank of E30@42.7. FE is hanging in there. Will be running E50 this tank to expedite before cooler weather sets in. Everything is running normal, timing advance 1 more degree at cruise. The SG has under reported the MPG on last tank .1 and this tank .2 gallons. Wondering if that has any thing to do with the E85 blend? Couple more tanks and I'll check/change the fuel filter.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #23
ELF
Registered Member

Looking good so far! I just filled my Sable with a E-30 concoction, I was looking at the pump and noticed it said.....( minimum 85% ethanol) So... could be even more ? In the summer? could be E-90. My car didn't like E-15 0r E-20, so we will see if it likes E-30.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELF View Post
Looking good so far! I just filled my Sable with a E-30 concoction, I was looking at the pump and noticed it said.....( minimum 85% ethanol) So... could be even more ? In the summer? could be E-90. My car didn't like E-15 0r E-20, so we will see if it likes E-30.
Keep us posted. I have a hunch that it won't like the E30 either since it theoretically get's worst with higher mixtures. What kind of hit did you take with E15 and E20?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:40 AM   #25
ELF
Registered Member

Just drove a little over 200 miles on E-30 Same driving as I normally do, 32.23 mpg. that is pretty good, Maybe 1 to 2 mpg less than E-10.
When I used E15 and E-20 my mpg dipped into the 20's so E30 is better. I think maybe my ECU can't compensate and the car is running a little lean. It did feel kinda sluggish.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #26
Tuggin at the surly bonds

I find that the more ethanol I consume, the worse my FE becomes .
Old 07-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Just drove a little over 200 miles on E-30 Same driving as I normally do, 32.23 mpg. that is pretty good, Maybe 1 to 2 mpg less than E-10.
When I used E15 and E-20 my mpg dipped into the 20's so E30 is better. I think maybe my ECU can't compensate and the car is running a little lean. It did feel kinda sluggish.
I noticed the same thing at E30. Another interseting observation I've got 4000 miles on the oil and it almost looks like it did when I put it in there. I'll change it in another 1000 miles and that will be the first change in the Daewoo-woo so I have no base but usually the oil is a lot darker at this point in the other cars I've owned. All but 2 tanks on the 4000 miles is with E15 or better. Also the plugs look pretty clean but then again I have nothing to compair it too since this car is new to me.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #28
Registered Member

Just filled. This tank of E50 was 41.17. Filled with E85 this time. Not bad considering the tank included emissions testing(don't get me started on jiffy lube) and several more night commutes than normal. On the next tank I'll change the filter and go with new plugs one range cooler then I'm running now. Still no CEL ignition timing did not change this tank. Status as of now.

E15 44.0
E20 43.2
E30 42.7
E50 41.2
Old 07-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #29
ELF
Registered Member

Just sort of a slow decline in mpg. not too bad really. Have you tried straight gas with no ethanol? E-85 this tank? you are a brave man!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:31 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Just sort of a slow decline in mpg. not too bad really. Have you tried straight gas with no ethanol? E-85 this tank? you are a brave man!
Yea I got a couple of E0 tanks. 43mpg and 45mpg respectively. Clench has been running E85 for a while no problems. It not like I'm blazing a new trail here. I'm hoping I can get it down to less then 10% loss in FE when it's all said and done.