Methanol + E10 + SEFI/MPFI = mpg gain? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #21
Site Team / Moderator

Ok, I purchased fuel this evening. A local store had 12 oz bottles of methanol fuel antifreeze for $0.80 each. I added 24 ounces of methanol to the tank and filled it with Shell 87 octane E10 to the beast. We shall see how this goes...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #22
Registered Member

I am sorry, disregard, this is the experimental section I did not realize this.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:05 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Now that I've been thinking I remember in the 70's seeing some stations advertise "Gasohol". What was the ratio of gasoline/alcohol in that? It must not have been to extreme as it would have had to run on engines without the benefit of fuel injection.

-Jay
It was the same thing you find now 90% gas 10% alcohol.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
i agree,,,,wish they had to have it marked on the pumps here
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:43 AM   #25
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
Ok, I used to buy that stuff in the 80's as well then. In the 80's there was a sticker on the pump that said something like "ETHANOL ENRICHED The fuel pumped from this dispenser may contain up to 10% ethanol" I guess the name Gasohol never caught on, and Ethanol Enriched sounded better.

Thanks,
Jay

Old 07-08-2008, 05:53 AM   #26
Registered Member

No codes, 55. Gonna hafta check how the O2 is switching.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #27
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
No codes, 55. Gonna hafta check how the O2 is switching.
Glad you got a 55, that means its probably nothing major... yet.

-Jay

Old 07-08-2008, 06:44 AM   #28
Registered Member

Though I'm wondering if it catalysed off the carbon buildup in the intakes, but was cleaning it up at the same time, or whether it pickled any active surfaces. or whether there was a copper compound in the blue dye in the "Fondue Fuel" that helped catalyse it but isn't in the hardware store stuff... or whether the fuel trim has changed.... maybe even got a different gas blend...

Something seems wrong though, I got about 30 miles more before the needle came off full indicating a higher fill than normal, but since then I've been fighting hard for mpg and it's looking like I'm only gonna pull a 23... gotta fill later today. Think prices are sliding a little, keeping an eye on them...
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #29
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
Though I'm wondering if it catalysed off the carbon buildup in the intakes, but was cleaning it up at the same time, or whether it pickled any active surfaces. or whether there was a copper compound in the blue dye in the "Fondue Fuel" that helped catalyse it but isn't in the hardware store stuff... or whether the fuel trim has changed.... maybe even got a different gas blend...

Something seems wrong though, I got about 30 miles more before the needle came off full indicating a higher fill than normal, but since then I've been fighting hard for mpg and it's looking like I'm only gonna pull a 23... gotta fill later today. Think prices are sliding a little, keeping an eye on them...
Well, I've only logged 2 miles since I've filled up last night, needle is still on Full... I may try fondue fuel next. I initially avoided it because I thought the dye was not needed and therefore should be avoided if possible. Another thing to note, the fuel line antifreeze I bought... 12 ounces for $0.80 doesn't sound bad, but that's over $8/gal. I'll see how this tank progresses over the next week or so.

-Jay

Old 07-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Just a clarification. Sequential injection doesn't mean that the injector only fires when the valve is open. Manufacturers usually put injectors in so that at the redline and WOT the injectors are at a 75-80% duty cycle. Meaning that the injector is opening and spraying fuel for 80% of the combustion cycle.

In order to have an injector fire only when the valve is open they typically have to be about 4 times the size of standard injectors. On the freeway most 4 cylinder cars run around 33-50% throttle so the injectors are running between 50-60% duty. Which means that half of the time that injector is firing it's against a closed valve.