My WAI - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #31
Registered Member

thus the drawbacks of having a new car. (kind of)

depending on how expensive it may be and availability, you could go to your local u-pull-it (junk yard) and get a spare to tinker with.

there again, now you are sinking money into a mod that shouldn't cost that much.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #32
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Check car-part.com. Plenty of junkyards have 2008 Accents that they could get an exhaust manifold from; presumably they have the heat shields too (but car-part.com doesn't have a listing for heat shields). You might be able to get one cheaply that you can use for experiments.

Edit: BEEF beat me to it...

Old 06-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #33
Registered Member

I'll figure out what to do once it proves useful. I'm handy with sheet metal and have a slip roll machine and lots of scrap sheet metal so I may just assemble something.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #34
Registered Member

Guess I'll need something more refined sooner rather than later. The peak IAT was 145 F, and that was on the 3.4 mile climb nearing my home. Most of the time it stayed between 128 F and 134 F. I think it's drawing in too much cool air right at the end of the unsplit part of the duct. Difficult to prevent with the current geometry.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 06-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #35
Registered Member

another issue is that if you refine it now to get 180 or so, once the weather gets really hot (late july, early august) you will see that much hotter temps. to guess, I'd say in the 200+ range.

I set mine up to where on the hottest day, it gets around 180. last years max was 179 so I don't have to tinker with it all the time. only just recently have I seen the 140-150s (and the odd ball 160) but it is a give and take that I am willing to give on because I don't want to constantly adjust anything.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #36
Registered Member

I'm going to design in a bypass vent, much like the suction control on some vacuum cleaners. Won't be anywhere near as nice, though.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-06-2009, 05:21 AM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
Didn't I see in one of the WAI threads that the insight's WAI is behind the radiator so high power levels overwhelm it and cools the air off again? Has anybody tried doing that themselves?
Forgot about my own post...geez. I figure if I'm going to go to the trouble of making something, I should at least consider the radiator mounted option. Seems like the temperatures available that way wouldn't be as hot. Does that make sense?

co de pen den cy

Old 06-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #38
Registered Member

I did an experiment and if I put spacers behind my manifold shield and got slightly longer bolts I could create a wide enough gap at the top of the shield to draw air from. If I can design a proper adapter, I'm all set. I like this idea since ripping it off will be quick in case of a surprise warranty claim.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #39
Registered Member

I get 128 ITA temps and I dont have a WAI.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #40
Registered Member

Came up with an easy to make adapter that could suck air from behind my manifold shield if I put spacers in to increase the clearances. The straight sides will make this a breeze on my sheet metal brake. It's hard to make out, but the bottom edge of the adapter would have several hooks (just bend back some of the sheet metal) to latch onto the edge of the manifold shield. It's basically a funnel, trading width for height as it goes towards the ducting. On the end near the duct I could have a sliding panel over a hole to allow in colder air to limit maximum temperature. It'd just be a piece of sheet metal with a bent edge you can grab, hinging on a rivet. Maybe a locking wing nut too. I didn't bother to draw it. My drawing's dimensions aren't reliable, it's just the gist (it's drawn way too big). There are plenty of attachment points to support the far end of the adapter, and taking it off should be straightforward.

Figured out how to get the spacers behind the shield: use magnets to keep them from falling off the bolts as I install it. I guess I could use masking tape or some glue as well, but I don't want that stuff burning away, and I've already got the magnets.

co de pen den cy