My WAI - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #51
Registered Member

I stand corrected. I must've made a math error when counting the pixels of the picture of that duct, because when I hold it up to the 2x2 square they are not the same! Close, but the original is slightly bigger. Drat. Actually, this does give me a chance to change a design flaw: the neck was too short and the tape would've been almost touching the shield. Serious no no.

Thank you BEEF!!!!!!

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #52
Registered Member

Nope, I was right the first time! Geez, I really suck at comparing odd shapes. I double checked the image, then traced the duct onto graph paper and manually counted the squares. They both matched my original calculation. I think part of the problem is that the kidney fitting has a female end which is larger than the minimum duct size, so it looks bigger. To get around this I cut the graph paper shape out and placed it in the duct to verify it was the right size (tracing it was very tricky).

OK, now I just need to fix that hookup problem. I added a mounting bracket and a valve, but I'm a little worried the valve will leak too much since it's hard to keep the thin sheet metal flat enough. I can always replace the valve disc with something thicker.

I figure it'll be easier to see it without the duct and such, so I snapped this installed pic. I kept the leftmost tab, but bending it back would require smaller fingers than I have, so the right one is now held on by that bracket. I just insert the left tab behind the shield then angle it into position and insert the bolt. It's pretty solid, surprisingly. Must be because I made it as tall as I could so it's snug under that black bracket.

Phew! Fun, but enough for one day.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #53
Registered Member

I just figured out why the fit isn't so hot: I assumed zero radius bends in my calculations. No wonder.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #54
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Does that thing attach at the bottom anywhere? Avoid evil rattle by oversecuring it as much as possible.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #55
Registered Member

No it does not. I don't think it'll shake much, but I guess I can wire it to something just in case. Good idea.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #56
Registered Member

I just didn't want you to choke the motor down in the process. it is always good to double check.

the bypass looks like the top of an old charcoal grill. I guess if the mess really hits the fan, you can open it up. I guess you could vary it slightly too depending on the IAT temps.

low tech solutions to high tech problems

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #57
Registered Member

I considered a bunch of bypass designs, but that one has the advantage of rotating in place so it wouldn't hit anything. I figure I can change it between winter and summer. Much more probably wouldn't be worth the effort. I don't think it came out well. Need to redo it. Should've made the valve before assembling the two halves. I'll wait to see if a WAI even does anything for my car before tackling it again. I really enjoyed making this thing. It was great practice with sheet metal. I should've printed templates rather than measuring it with a sharpie. Faster and more accurate.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #58
Site Team / Moderator

The past few days its been warm, and I've been running the a/c. My inatake air temps have been around 180. It was quite a shock when I tried to merge in traffic yesterday. Didn't have the same get up & go, but hopefully my city mileage has improved.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #59
Registered Member

Got the right angle extension added on (surprisingly complicated part) and used furnace cement to seal it all, then installed it. For now I've removed the vent disc and duct taped over the holes. Once I'm getting acceptable temperatures I can play with it. Figure that box with the small hole coming off the air inlet pipe must be the resonator. Never heard of such a thing before, but it makes a great deal of sense.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #60
Registered Member

Went out today and my IAT only hit 136 F max and stayed around 128 F most of the time (lower when I coasted a lot). That's with the vent taped shut. Most annoying! Starting to wonder if there's another branch hiding. Think it's time to blow my shop vac out the inlet from the air box and check again. The blower I used before wasn't very strong, so maybe I missed something.

co de pen den cy