Need info on turbines - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-15-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 91CavGT
Need info on turbines

I need some info on turbines. The ones that are powered by non-flameable gas that can have a pulley connected to it so as to power engine accessories.

I don't want to get too indpeth on this idea as I don't even know if it will work, but if it does then it would mean 10-15 hp gains on most cars and a substantial increase in gas mileage. In short, I need something that can turn a non-flameable gas of approximately 220 degrees into rotational power.

I think I may have found a way to utilize some of the lost energy in a combustion engine!!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
a 0psi turbo?

Old 09-15-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
I need some info on turbines. The ones that are powered by non-flameable gas that can have a pulley connected to it so as to power engine accessories.

I don't want to get too indpeth on this idea as I don't even know if it will work, but if it does then it would mean 10-15 hp gains on most cars and a substantial increase in gas mileage. In short, I need something that can turn a non-flammable gas of approximately 220 degrees into rotational power.

I think I may have found a way to utilize some of the lost energy in a combustion engine!!

So, I'm thinking you mean a centrifugal compressor --> turbo charger.

But the "In short, I need something that can turn a non-flammable gas of approximately 220 degrees into rotational power." Is a bit hard to come by. Turbines typically take pressure and temperature --> generate work and out comes a delta pressure and delta temperature. From a car, you have exhaust gas, and a pressure build up.

So that said, for a turbine, you'll need a pressure build up of some sort. In large operations, it's usually pounds of steam delivered at a certain pressure.

A sterling engine, however, can take a temperature difference and make rotational work

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
Registered Member

Maybe turbine was a bad choice of words.

I don't know how much flow this device will yield yet.

I had a brief thought to utilize a modified turbo, but I would have to find or fabricate some kind of gear setup to lower the rpm down to a more useable rpm band. Not to mention trying to find a way to keep everything balanced at 100,000+ rpm.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CavGT View Post
Maybe turbine was a bad choice of words.

I don't know how much flow this device will yield yet.

I had a brief thought to utilize a modified turbo, but I would have to find or fabricate some kind of gear setup to lower the rpm down to a more useable rpm band. Not to mention trying to find a way to keep everything balanced at 100,000+ rpm.
I'm guessing here... but are you trying to recover waste heat -- and put it to the crank?

Like this?
turbocompound System

Is explaining your idea out of the question? I can understand if the answer is "no" - IP is a big deal these days

11/12
Old 09-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
I'm guessing here... but are you trying to recover waste heat -- and put it to the crank?

Like this?
turbocompound System

Is explaining your idea out of the question? I can understand if the answer is "no" - IP is a big deal these days

not quit, but similar. In a round about way, the exhaust would indirectly be powering a turbine which would then power the engine accessories.

I think I have found a different way of doing this system without a turbine.

As an fyi about myself, I have come up with several devices for the aftermarket world for the Dodge SRT-4m but each device that I made took me several months of research. This device will take me many months of research before I even think about trying to build it.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
Registered Member

Heh, how about driving an alternator off an exhaust turbine?
Old 09-16-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Heh, how about driving an alternator off an exhaust turbine?

The only problem with doing that is it still takes power to turn the alternator. You add exhaust backpressure with the turbine. My idea is similar but the exhaust does not directly spin the turbine so there should be no added backpressure accept for maybe at high rpms.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
If there is no backpressure created then there is no energy captured - you need pressure to exert a force on the turbine blades to get it to produce energy output. Just having something spin at high speed with some hot gasses blowing on them will not produce any useful energy output - all you are doing is overcoming the bearing friction to spin the blades. Like a dremmel tool with lots of RPM but no torque - only good for light cutting and grinding.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
If there is no backpressure created then there is no energy captured - you need pressure to exert a force on the turbine blades to get it to produce energy output. Just having something spin at high speed with some hot gasses blowing on them will not produce any useful energy output - all you are doing is overcoming the bearing friction to spin the blades. Like a dremmel tool with lots of RPM but no torque - only good for light cutting and grinding.
Ditto

Kinda like those guys that proposed putting micro wind turbines on the sides of busy roads... That would have reduced all of our fuel economy while inefficiently generating less net energy

11/12