O2 Experiment 06 Xa Scion - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #11
Registered Member

in forecast to install the "o2 signal modifier", I installed news spark plugs: the ngk BKR5EXI-11 (iridium, with 0.8mm central electrode).

pregiate iridium electrode, not is the only difference between the original spark plugs, I bought the plugs with 1,1mm gap (the original gap it is only 0,8mm) this only just for to move up the misfire barrier.

My only thought is, which method in order to manage the device, that it should only work in particular RPM and load

fabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
Supporting Member

Blue03Civic -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue03Civic View Post
Running lean should not affect the cat in any way. Whereas running rich destroys it because of unburnt fuel increasing the temperature inside the cat running lean will mean less unburnt fuel and less of a chance to damage the cat. The increase in NOx emissions caused by this lean-burn will just mean the cat is less effective and is letting more slightly more pollution through. However, with how miserly us gassavers are with fuel, what is "more NOx emissions" to our cars is still less than "normal NOx emissions" for the leadfoot drivers of the world .
Woo hoo! Just what I wanted to read. That deserves a donut!

Attachment 797

I was wondering about the "GasSavers + NOx" equation too. It would be cool to be able to prove that as I approach "lean burn mode X", I still emit no more NOx than a normal driver with a stock version of my car, but still save more gas in the process.

CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #13
Supporting Member

fabrio -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrio View Post
do you know this site: http://better-mileage.com/memberadx.html ?
It describe an alternative metod for change the o2 sensor signal.

I bought the electronics components, and the next month I will construct the device described at the Internet link

ciao

fabrio
Yes, I have been to that site before. I am very sure that the better-mileage version is almost identical to the EFIE version. The EFIE that I purchased is dipped in insulating plastic, so I can't see the actual schematic. But everything I see in the better-mileage version looks like a close match to the EFIE.

The EFIE can be purchased already-built or as a schematic. Once you know the schematic, you can make your own. Heck, maybe the EFIE is based on the better-mileage version, .

CarloSW2

Old 08-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #14
Registered Member

Yep, check out my post about this from a couple of months back...

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=3566

I am seeing a consistent 10% increase in fuel economy and a great deal of power loss running at 15.9:1.
parasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:01 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
...everything I see in the better-mileage version looks like a close match to the EFIE... maybe the EFIE is based on the better-mileage version, .
Other than basic concept, I doubt it -- they use two totally different approaches.

The better-mileage version uses a variable-threshold Shmitt trigger scheme. In non-geek-speak, they're choosing what they want to call the middle of the sensor's range and sending the ECU a pulse train developed around that value. They use a LED dot/bar-graph driver IC to pick off different thresholds (unusual but clever), which means you get up to ten discrete adjustment settings.

The EFIE instead simply develops a constant (but adjustable) voltage and sums that to the signal already coming from the O2 sensor, almost as if you were to insert a battery in the signal line. Rather than discrete steps, it's infinitely adjustable.

I haven't studied either in depth, but at first glance both designs look like they'd get the job done just fine. Depending on the results you folks report, I may tinker with this in the future myself.

Rick

P.S. I read in some other threads that the wide-band (five wire?) sensors have a calibration resistor that tells the ECU how to interpret the reading; I wonder if on those you could just change the resistance to "remap" where it thinks 14.7:1 lives?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:03 AM   #16

I understand how this thing works, but still have some questions about it... Does it have two 4 pin plugs coming off of it and a seperate power source line? Or is it just a mess of wires that you have to rig to the 02 sensor yourself and a seperate wire that runs to the power supply? Can you turn it on and off? Also, what kind of FE improvement are the users of it seeing in terms of highway FE?
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #17
Supporting Member

Rick Rae -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rae View Post
Other than basic concept, I doubt it -- they use two totally different approaches.

Thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rae View Post

Rick

P.S. I read in some other threads that the wide-band (five wire?) sensors have a calibration resistor that tells the ECU how to interpret the reading; I wonder if on those you could just change the resistance to "remap" where it thinks 14.7:1 lives?
And/or a potentiometer to fiddle with the resistance?

Here is another thing I was wondering. If an 02 sensor is comparing hot exhaust air to "ambient" outside air, couldn't we spoof the 02 sensor by modifying the surrounding outside air that the 02 sensor is sampling? And, would you want it to be cold air or hot air? I am wondering if grill blocks and other ways to keep the engine bay hot are having a secondary effect on the reading of the 02 sensor.

CarloSW2

Old 08-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #18
Supporting Member

OK, Zerfstead here.
It appears on my first tank and about 300 miles that the EFIE is working. I filled the tank on monday with 87octane and turned on the EFIE. Today is Thursday and I think the increase is about 14-15%. I notice a slight power loss during acceleration. It is working. The voltage offset is 260 mV. a conservative value. I am not ready to make a final acessment. My goal is to drive a maximum speed of 60 and run my AC as I normally would. This gives me about 35 mpg without EFIE on my usual drive to and from work (in city freeway). If I can ave 40-44 mpg on my drive to work I'm happy.
Zerfstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerfstead View Post
OK, Zerfstead here.
It appears on my first tank and about 300 miles that the EFIE is working. I filled the tank on monday with 87octane and turned on the EFIE. Today is Thursday and I think the increase is about 14-15%. I notice a slight power loss during acceleration. It is working. The voltage offset is 260 mV. a conservative value. I am not ready to make a final acessment. My goal is to drive a maximum speed of 60 and run my AC as I normally would. This gives me about 35 mpg without EFIE on my usual drive to and from work (in city freeway). If I can ave 40-44 mpg on my drive to work I'm happy.
How many oxygen sensors do you have? My car for exemple have two of them, so this mean I'd have to connect EFIE device to each one.
holypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #20
Supporting Member

holypaulie -

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypaulie View Post
How many oxygen sensors do you have? My car for exemple have two of them, so this mean I'd have to connect EFIE device to each one.
If your car is like mine, then you have one 02 sensor in the exhaust manifold and a second one that is pre (post?) cat. The only one that needs the EFIE is the one in the exhaust manifold, because that is the one the the ECU/PCM uses for closed loop operation.

CarloSW2