PCV Catch Can - keeps your engine clean, which helps gas mileage in the long run. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2006, 09:34 PM   #11
Registered Member

PCV Catch

I have PCV catch devices on both of my vehicles, and they collect a significant amount of gunk that would otherwise be burned and gunk-up the works (I used Matt's how-to from this site, and it only takes 10 minutes -- all parts are included in a kit -- it's basically the device that collects moisture on home air-compressors). The normal carbon build-up could be blown-through with a good revving to get the vacuum levels up, and intake air through: that is until the next Seafoam or AutoRx Cleanse.

BTW - I like the new Avatar n0rt0npr0! The Celebrity was a decent car. The EuroSport Version was a lot of fun - a good friend had one a while back until someone totalled it (I see you have some suspension parts from that series). I got to know the GM 60-Degree V-6 quite a lot when my family was GM-only. I loved my new '95 Beretta (Level II) with the newer 3.1L, that was until it broke several times under warranty -- so I figured I'd dump it before the warranty ran out. At the time, I really wanted the '96 Impala SS (Caprice with the Corvette Engine and Cop-Car parts). RWD just didn't work well in the gravel and snow, so I stuck with FWD. One of the biggest mistakes Chevy made was to dump the Corsica/Beretta line in '96 and not really replace it with anything close. Oh well, their loss...

RH77

Old 04-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
rick

Yes Matt and SVO have done some awesome how-to's that plane.

I am a 60°V6 enthusiast. I've put over 350 thousand miles on these engines. Something GM did right from the beginning regarding the PCV catch can idea: They made the crankcase vent system long enough to reduce the high velocity that carries "misted" oil and gunk particles to the intake. Meaning, never have I had to clean the intake out to specifically delete gunk from the throttle plate and vaccuum passages. All my oil/gunk drains into a groove in the intake hosing.(think a ribbed home vaccuum hose)

Anyway, all I do is use a paper towel to wipe out those grooves every 50,000 miles. I should take pictures of how its set up to do this next time I am at the 50k mark.

Yes I have found gunk/varnish on the very BACK of the throttle plate once BUT that was only because I held off in fixing the original problem and it escalated.

That gunk/oil that your PCV catch can gets, has very very very little to do with carbon build-up... in my opinion. And Thanks for the props on the avatar rick

Old 04-29-2006, 01:29 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to molecule
hydrocarbons from

hydrocarbons from superheated oil dispersed out of the block by pressure (or the lack thereof) actually will burn quite easily...
catching the gunk solids and allowing the airborne hydrocarbons to pass into the engine is beneficial...

remember its all oil...just in different states...

say NO to gunk
Old 04-29-2006, 08:46 AM   #14
Registered Member

I am sure your 02 and cat

I am sure your 02 and cat don't like oil.
mikefxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #15
Registered Member

ok ok fine i'll drop by home

ok ok fine i'll drop by home depot and see how magical this pcv catch can really is, bleh wish me luck and hope i don't fry my engine! i think i have 20000 miles on my car so maybe there's tons of gunk build up waiting for me already? hmmm
Old 11-16-2007, 07:01 AM   #16
Registered Member

is there any way to filter the part that goes back into the intake with a filter that isn't all that dense? can you move that little filter it comes with to the intake side?

https://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #17
Registered Member

home depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

^unit^

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

^male adapter^

lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0AV&lpage=none

^unit^

has anyone tried one of these filters instead of the one that comes with it??

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...0-B&lpage=none

^filter^

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...125&lpage=none

^male adapter^

https://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...onda-civic.htm

stupid ricer... useless wings are for pinguins!
93dagsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #18
Registered Member

My Heated PCV mod for K5 Prius

Here is the PCV jar mod that I placed in my 2005 Toyota Prius.
Note that I removed the entire stock air box on the passenger side of the engine
compartment just behind the headlight.
The copper coils have engine coolant flowing thru them to heat the jar to remove
most of the liquid content in the form of vapor. The heated coolant comes from the
throttle body on the cool side so as not to steal any heat from the throttle body preheat.
The vapors flow thru a V8 can inside of the jar that is packed with copper bb's.
There is a piece of metal screen at the top and bottom of the V8 can to keep the bb's
from ever entering the vaccum line although it would be almost impossible for the vaccum
in that line to suck up bb's from the bottom of the jar. The threaded metal stock was
purchased at a local lamp shop. I cut them to length with a hack saw. The copper coil
adds heat to the process to vaporize any liquids and to help break down any vaporous
HC's in the mixture before being sucked back into the throttle body. It works great but
took more time than the standard air compressor water remover from the hardware store.

Dwayne
1fixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #19
Registered Member

anyone got any hard #s supporting a significant increase using the PCV catch?
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
anyone got any hard #s supporting a significant increase using the PCV catch?
Because this is a mod for the long haul its kind of hard to slap on a catch can and look at the scanguage and do some A-B B-A testing within a week.

Something for comparison is that guy who cleaned out his EGR ports on his CRX HF. With a catch can from the start he may never have needed to do this cleaning or at least not as bad as quick.

I don't have EGR ports on my civic but I'm pretty damn sure that my intake manifold has a gooey mess of vaporized oil build up on its walls.