Possible source of SS electrodes? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-13-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Possible source of SS electrodes?

I noticed Walmart has some fancy travel mugs that are double walled stainless steel and claim to be insulated. Looking inside told me the inner container is cylindrical. Can't tell if the outside if the outside of the mug is SS or not, but it is sculptured rather than cylindrical.

The item is marked on the bottom as a Walmart product made in China. Cost is about $7

It may be possible to disassemble it and use the outer part as the HHO generator jar as well as one electrode, remove the insulation and use the inner cylinder as the other electrode.

flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:46 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapdoodle View Post
I noticed Walmart has some fancy travel mugs that are double walled stainless steel and claim to be insulated. Looking inside told me the inner container is cylindrical. Can't tell if the outside if the outside of the mug is SS or not, but it is sculptured rather than cylindrical.

The item is marked on the bottom as a Walmart product made in China. Cost is about $7

It may be possible to disassemble it and use the outer part as the HHO generator jar as well as one electrode, remove the insulation and use the inner cylinder as the other electrode.
I've seen some similar mugs break. The ones I saw used dead airspace to insulate the mug, not foam. The best thing to do is just buy one and hack it apart, see what's inside. Here's another tip to find cheap SS mugs. Your local thrift shop. Many companies give travel mugs away as promotional items. They can often be had for $1 or $2 each, usually with a bank or computer company logo printed on them.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

I've got two double kitchen sinks I got from yard sales I'm gonna cut up.....
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
stainless steel is a poor conductor of electricity, gold plated silver would be better platinum is what is normally used for electrolysis of water, and separating hydrogen from natural gas is what is done when you buy a tank of hydrogen.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
stainless steel is a poor conductor of electricity, gold plated silver would be better platinum is what is normally used for electrolysis of water, and separating hydrogen from natural gas is what is done when you buy a tank of hydrogen.
I think the reason Stainless Steel is used in these homemade applications is because it does not corrode or rust, and its a lot cheaper than platinum. How much money is a HHO setup that costs a few thousand dollars to build going to save you? Stainless Steel is more cost effective.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
What you say is true, but for our purposes the SS plate area is large so it makes little difference. Lead is a lousy conductor but is used for battery plates.

Anyhow, thanks for the tip. I will switch to platinum when the price falls to $4 an ounce.

BTW, I am using titanium for the negative electrode.
http://flapdoodledinghy.com/HHO_generator.html

flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote