Putting Acetone in gas tank to increase fuel economy - Page 11 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-31-2008, 04:42 PM   #101
Registered Member

acetone

I've tried it in my toyota tercel...seemed to give me about 1-2 mpg. One thing I do know. Acetone softens plastic parts. There's a great tip for epoxying a door handle. Use a Q-tip with acetone on the parts you want to glue. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. It softens the plastic so the epoxy takes. I tried putting together my toyota door handle and the plastic would not bond....after acetone. Perfect! Never broke free again. Use it on the non-glueable plastics. I stopped using acetone in my car after that.

cugir321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:50 PM   #102
Registered Member

If your going to try the Acetone testing I say get a long funnel so none of the acetone will get on your cars finnish. get a mesureing glass from Walmart or some cooking store. (glass or metal) I myself have a complet cook book I use for a fuel mod and I get around 40 mpg in my toyota corolla with a 5 sp trans.

GasSavers_Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:52 PM   #103
Registered Member

I have been doing this fuel mod for about 3 years and I have 125000 on this care with no problems to the fuel system or injectors.
Im you wish to E-mail me pleast put the word Aceton in the subject heading so I will not deleat it with all of the juck mail my Yahoo account get from day to day.

Also hope ya do not mind my bad spelling, Never was much good at it.
GasSavers_Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #104
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to getnpsi
the first tank in my "garage" had 3 oz of acetone in it. My fuel tank is rather small but I wanted to introduce it for its cleaning properties before anything else. This was one neglected lil car. Anyway after the first treatment the tanks after did not. I have even done a tuneup, added a few a basic aero's and cleaned components since the first tank and the mpg's have not gotten any better. My routes are NOT the same so you all can rip me apart but this tank I'm burning up now DOES have acetone so 4 tanks will have little left vs this new dose which might show something. I would not go purchase acetone looking for gains, id get 2 gallons of premium fuel that is high detergent...but since I had half a container sitting here for plastic hobbies I went for it.

I'd love to see an emissions profile for a non catted car, and then introduce acetone.
getnpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:15 AM   #105
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I'd like to find some actual numeric data on the amount of detergent in various gasolines from various vendors. I suspect that most use the same amount of detergents in all their octanes.

However, if you're really concerned about getting enough detergent, you should just buy the octane level your car recommends at a Top Tier Gas vendor. See http://www.toptiergas.com for the list.

As for me, I'll purposely run some cleaner through the system on occasion, but in the meantime I'd rather be burning gas than detergent, so I don't mind if my gas has less detergent. I doubt detergent is a very efficient fuel.

The "Premium" label is just great marketing, since it makes people think that it's better than "Regular" when really it's just specified to avoid knock at higher compression ratios. It would be like selling Load Range E tires as "Premium", where the difference is that they can take higher pressure and therefore can carry more load...but most people still run the same pressure and load on them.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:41 PM   #106
Registered Member

I'm totally new here but I have been experimenting with acetone for a few months now. I started off at a dismal 21.8 mpg, hard driving, extended idling. Before using acetone I cleaned up my driving, alot, enough so that I was not going to attribute any further gains to driving style. This netted 23.2mpg. I then started using a blend of acetone/xylene/2cycle oil, acetone being the critical ingredient. I never use more than 3oz/10gal of acetone and I've been trying different amounts of xylene/oil but usually it's about 1oz/10 gal oil ( mobil1 synthetic) and 2oz xylene. The oil doesn't mix with the acetone untill the xylene gets in there. I've seen a steady increase in my mpg which is now up to 29.28, part of this can be attributed to the temp (outside) increase but my driving has gotten more aggresive than at the beginning. My mpg is still climbing but my job has recently moved closer to home and I recently aquired an XR650L (traded two rifles worth half as much) so I'll be testing the stay-fresh ability of the mix now! This was tested in a '91 accord wagon,5spd, lowered,cf hood,cat-back exhaust. Similar results have NOT been found w/my wifes 2000 accord 4cyl 5spd, I think it's her driving though.
Eeksyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:14 AM   #107
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeksyrider View Post
Similar results have NOT been found w/my wifes 2000 accord 4cyl 5spd, I think it's her driving though.
People will ridicule the idea...but my impression from testing fuel additives is that:

* you need to find and keep to the correct amount per 10 gallons for the best mpg.........accurately....for best results

* you can either get your kicks and more power out of an additive...OR you can get better mpg by driving "cool".

This mpg effect is not fully attributable to driving style changes...it's just that additives can EITHER give you more power or better mpg. In some cases you might find both...where you'd get better acceleration in limited situations and still better overall mpg.

A test could be done where a hypermiler could drive the same way with and without a certain additive...and I think they'd see a difference.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:14 AM   #108
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Just an update after a few trips with Sally's Acetone in the last fillup I am seeing pretty consistant 50+mpg trips where I used to see 46-48mpg trips using ACE brand Acetone. I didn't expect to see this much of a difference but I will take it!!! Also the clock just hit 21,000 miles last weekend so that is 17,300 on Synlube in the engine.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #109
Registered Member

I know I'm kinda late to this party but just to throw in my two cents. I am using acetone in a 97 Ford Tarus. I've been mixing 4 oz. of acetone (bought at Home Depot) to 16 gallons of gas and haven't seen any noticeable improvements after 3 tanks of gas. Should I try increasing or decreasing the amount of acetone?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #110
Registered Member

Thought I'd add some long term "data". I have been using 2? oz. Acetone/ 10gal. in my 1993 Mazda MX-3 6cyl. with 160K miles on it for 5 years now, including driving from Houston to Portland, Oregon. I have had no problems with it, and avearge 2-3 more mpg, and the mileage goes back down when I forget. I haven't actually taken apart any of the fuel system to check for degradation.

fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote