Putting Acetone in gas tank to increase fuel economy - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2006, 04:45 AM   #51
*shrug*

Yep, the b12 stuff has it,

Yep, the b12 stuff has it, I've known for a while but never thought to post up about it. My latest acetone tests screwed me again so I'm gonna try after I swap injection systems.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:50 AM   #52
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Acetone from MAXMPG group

Date: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:20 am
Subject: Re: [maxmpg] Acetone - spiking freedomev

Hi Francois and All,

Acetone spiking is a load as gasoline already has a fair amount of it in it made during the refining process or in oil naturally.

Also on another list they experimented with it and nothing improved.

HTH's,
Jerry Dycus

---------------------------------------------------------------------
This from a guy that is building plywood cars powered by e-Tek motors. So anyone think that Acetone doesn't work and that it is already in Gasoline??

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #53
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
acetone, my theory

Spent this morning re-reading some good sites on acetone and octane...

Acetone is 150 octane, by the way. That explains why my engine knocked to all hell after I did not replace the acetone which I had been using for 6 tanks. I HAD TO reset the ECM to stop the knocking!

so lets see..first off, I will tell you that IF your engine does NOT have a knock sensor, you will not get any improvements from acetone.

Second, since it adds octane, you MIGHT NOT see any improvement in MPG's UNLESS you are indeed a spirited driver. The more conservative you are (like Dan, and SVO) the less benefit you will see. If any...

I tried it, yah I seen mpg from it...but inconclusive mileage benefits. I didn't use the same pump, ect

Third, Acetone is a cleaner...in fact its in most throttle body, top engine and carburator cleaners. If your system WAS dirty, it probably adversely affected MPG's....if you are seeing an increase in mpg's...it could be from the mild cleaning that the acetone is doing. You would really think that acetone would not affect fuel at that small of an amount, but if you have ever seen some drops of acetone fall through 50ml of gasoline and how cloudy the whole thing becomes after the acetone mixes....!

Also since I've done the mower testing and have had that 200ml fill where I let 50ml of fuel sit in an open container subjected to 2 hours of evaporation...That run lasted 2.44% longer than the average run! What happened esentially is that evaporated fuel became premium "like" fuel. It became more dense. And it lasted longer. That's a characteristic of Premium...its more dense.
That and acetone at the 1oz to 10 gallon ratio really didn't do **** in the mower experiment I'm conducting.

lol, more testing needed.

Good read on premium fuels btw...
read the whole damn site if you get the chance!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:42 PM   #54
Registered Member

evaporated

Quote:
Also since I've done the mower testing and have had that 200ml fill where I let 50ml of fuel sit in an open container subjected to 2 hours of evaporation...
Hummm . . . sounds like buying gasoline when the gas station tank is almost empty might get some higher density fuel and better gas mileage!!
Old 03-29-2006, 03:42 PM   #55
*shrug*

Quote:Second, since it adds

Quote:
Second, since it adds octane, you MIGHT NOT see any improvement in MPG's UNLESS you are indeed a spirited driver. The more conservative you are (like Dan, and SVO)
Yay for me, mwahaha. Anyway, I forgot what I was gonna see. We need something with a scangauge or superMID to test this.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #56
Registered Member

If this were true, and them

If this were true, and them underground tanks vented that much off...then my niehborhood would smell a helluva lot worse than it does, seeing that I live 1000 feet downwind from a station! Yeah no way that an underground almost empty tank would have evaporated enough to create a benefit of fuel economy for you and I.

The EPA would not let "in tank" evaporation like you are talking happen. Thats the whole reason why the winter and summer blends exist in the first place...
Old 03-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #57
Registered Member

venting

Well it doesn't have to leave the tank to leave the fuel - when the tank is almost empty it has a lot of air in it that can absorb a lot of the more volatile components and then that vents into the tanker truck or through a filter trapping the fumes when the tank get filled but they probably are not in the fuel anymore.

I wonder if the milky acetone reaction was from moisture in the acetone seperating from it when mixed with the gasoline?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:10 PM   #58
Registered Member

good point!

yeah, good point on the air in the tank just absorbing those fumes. So maybe by a fraction of a percent does that air in that tank absorb the volatile fumes and make that fuel more dense. I still think that fact is so minute, that it would be undetectable. Maybe not...very very complicated to really know for sure.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:26 AM   #59
Registered Member

test

Lawnmower testing time!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:13 PM   #60
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
acetone re-lived.

I did a little test of my own before I came to this website and published it to Honda-Tech. They pretty much said that my trip was too short. (even though it was the same route and I drove the same) - I can show you my report if you want to see it. But they basically said that it would rot the fuel system and that the pumps have a high rate of error.

I still have the same tank of gas right now. I just haven't been driving. Should I fill the tank up now to get a more definate (200 mile) answer? What might have killed the test is one night I got a little throttle happy, so...it might have killed any gains.

Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote