Putting Acetone in gas tank to increase fuel economy - Page 12 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #111
Registered Member

i do not believe there is ANY good argument that damage to the fuel system occurs using only a few ounces of acetone to a tank of fuel.

the rub is, is it effective in making a vehicle more fuel efficient? my personal experience is that it does w/ gasoline containing NO ethanol. some have properly tested, as i have, and concluded that is does not work.

when i realized E10 and acetone together get no noteable results, i stopped adding it at every fillup. prolly a good system cleaner to use occasionally, but not worth wasting money at every fill IMO.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #112
Registered Member

why not just use HHO

it sounds as if Acetone and HHO do the same thing why not just use HHO? I mean can you use HHO and acetone same time?

diver653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:13 AM   #113
Registered Member

Re: Putting Acetone in gas tank to increase fuel economy

Since someone brought this thread back from the dead I guess I'll share my experience. I definitely noticed a small increase in MPG by using acetone. It required a different amount for each of my cars and some experimenting to get the right mixture. But once the ethanol fuel came out the acetone completely stopped helping. If anything it makes things worse....

damn ethanol.

Now what I try to do is buy from a local supplier who sells "Boat/offroad gas". It's 90 octane non ethanol fuel. By using the non ethanol fuel I get 60 miles more out of one tank of gas. By using acetone with the boat gas I get 80 miles more out of the same tank of gas.
gto78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #114
Registered Member

Do they dye the offroad gas like they do for diesel and kerosene?
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #115
Registered Member

Not that I know of. However I put the fuel pump nozzle directly into my filler and not into gas cans so I didn't see it. I'll ask them next time I fill up. It's a local fuel supplier that sells fuel to marinas, and supplies fuel to various local trucking companies.

I've heard that all our county vehicles fill up with the same fuel for the same reason. It must be nice (for the county) to be part of the system that created a law forcing ethanol fuels for street use, and then the government itself refuses to use ethanol fuels because it causes more wear and tear, and worse mileage....
gto78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #116

I will join this experiment if it is still happening
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #117
Registered Member

the consensus here at GS is that is has no measurable gain, unless of course it cleans a dirty fuel system. and that is exactly what i use it for--maybe twice per year i'll use a few ounces of acetone w/ a couple ounces of amsoil 2 stroke oil.

i starting experimenting a few years ago w/ acetone just before E10 started to make its way into our fuel fully in florida. i seemed to have a measurable gain w/ my oldsmobile, but that was on 100% gas.

good luck, but "believers" seem to think that ethanol counteracts the positive effects of using acetone in gas.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #118

Well I won't waste my time then... I have no doubt about the cleanliness of my fuel system... Seafoam takes care of that and I use amsoil so sludge doesn't exist... I like these threads however so I will move on to the next one... Thanks for the answer
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #119
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo

I continue to use 3-4 oz per 10 gallons and have almost finished my second gallon of the stuff 38000 miles. I have some S&S gas last tank and noticed a 42mpg average then filled up with Crosson and immediately noticed it jump back up to 50+ on the ride home where it could not get that high a trip average no matter what I did with the S&S gas. It was also starting hard with the S&S gas - purchased it when the underground tanks were low and the delivery truck had just arrived to refill them. I will continue to use it.

AAAAKKKK the tire price from TireRack just dropped even lower now they are only 55 each I paid 65 each!!! 185/65R15 P4 Pirelli
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #120
Registered Member

I responded on a thread like this a few years ago. Didn't read all of this thread but here's my 2 cents.
1998 windstar 3.0L
24-25mpg normally
w/2oz per 10 gal = no difference
w/3oz 25-26mpg
w/5oz 28mpg
w/6oz or more milage gradually dropped
w/10oz per 10 gal dropped to 20mpg and didn't run right.

Went back to 4-5oz per 10 gal until I messed up the paint on the wifes van.
Since I didn't drive it or fill it all the time I gradually forgot about doing it.
Sold the van last year with 330,000+km's on it. Original gas tank, lines, etc. (in fact original exhaust/tranny/engine never had ANY work besides plugs/alternator@ 240,000km's/oil changes)

Did it about a year and a half then stopped. I believe it does work, consistently, but too little and no change and too much kills milage.

My experience anyway....

dieselmech is offline   Reply With Quote