Radiator block a success? Once again, I'm too impatient. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #11
Registered Member

I think pump difference can be significant. In my trials it may be around 1 MPG (at around 20 MPG for me, so 5% difference). But since you said the pump you used this time seemed to fill up MORE than your normal pump, your MPG should decrease from that. Since it still increased, I think you did well. But I still agree with kit that replication is key.

KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #12
Registered Member

Would an ECT mod do the same as a radiator block?That is unless your're trying to raise the motor temp to increase milaeage gains.

2005 Dodge ram 1500 5.7 Hemi quadcab 4x4
9"x9"- 7-plate Tero cell 5.5 LPM @58 amps 6.72 MMW
10K IAT,6.8K ECT mods,map enhancer and 2-dual efies for both pre and post cats,custom 12o amp constant current PWM ZFF's v2 design
Come check out the HHOscambusters forum
https://pmgen.com/hhoscambusters/
hyknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:22 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
My second fill should definitely have shown lower MPG, but again showed an increase. It looks hopeful.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to the ECT question. My gut feeling is that if it helps, it would help in a different way.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
My second fill should definitely have shown lower MPG, but again showed an increase. It looks hopeful.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to the ECT question. My gut feeling is that if it helps, it would help in a different way.
The ECT(engine coolant temp.) mod is soldering in parallel a 3.9k to 6.8k resistor at the ECT sensor(depending on what type vehicle) to simulate high temp. data to the ECM.But i don't know if you're trying to acually raise the coolant temp with the rad. block for better mileage gains.It was just a suggestion,didn't know if you acually needed more engine temp or if a false temp would work the same.

10K IAT,6.8K ECT mods,map enhancer and 2-dual efies for both pre and post cats,custom 12o amp constant current PWM ZFF's v2 design
Old 11-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Oh...I was thinking the ECT mod would be to simulate a lower temp. Simulating a higher temp could cause electric fans to run more (is ECT data used for that, or is there a separate electronic thermostat for that?) and would almost certainly cause fuel mixture to go rich.

The radiator block (and its brother the grille block) is used to increase actual temperature, increase heat in the engine bay and possibly at the intake air, and for aerodynamic purposes.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:51 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Oh...I was thinking the ECT mod would be to simulate a lower temp. Simulating a higher temp could cause electric fans to run more (is ECT data used for that, or is there a separate electronic thermostat for that?) and would almost certainly cause fuel mixture to go rich.

The radiator block (and its brother the grille block) is used to increase actual temperature, increase heat in the engine bay and possibly at the intake air, and for aerodynamic purposes.

I wasn't sure if you were looking for a higher motor temp or simulated.I overlooked electric fans causing additional load,too used to mods on my truck that has a mechanical fan that wouldn't be affected by an ECT mod.

I use the ECT mod to help with leaning on my dodge ram,It has no distributor so this mod helps retard the timing slightly to get better mileage gains when using hho.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #17
Registered Member

The same mod on the IAT sensor will simulate increased air temp only use a 10k resistor in parallel.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 AM   #18
Registered Member

I had issues with the ECU learning that the resistor was there and compensating for it. (it was actually on another vehicle, it was put in series to simulate colder air for more power)

this way, you don't have to fool sensors but you actually change the conditions of your motor so the ECU still performs the way it should.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:49 AM   #19
Registered Member

Update: Third tank went way down. It's almost certainly due to traffic, faster driving, and extra idling, and/or pump error (back to my usual pump this time) but it still throws some doubt.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:12 AM   #20
Registered Member

remember also that temps are going down (at least where I am at) and winter is well on its way. that has to be taken into account too.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote