Rerouting hoses - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rerouting hoses

Hello everyone Im brand new to the forum so I just wanted to introduce myself and to ask a question. I heard something today that kinda peeked my intrest a guy was tellin me something about how if you rerout your air hoses you can get 2 to 3 times as much gas mileage.Has anyone heard of this?If so has anyone tried it?How well did it work and what do you have to do to do it?

angus89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I've never heard of such a thing. Can you be more specific as to which hoses would have to be rerouted where, how that could cause such a huge jump in mileage, and why cars wouldn't come that way from the factory?

Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

He was likely refering to a hot air intake- pull warm air from around the exhaust into the air cleaner assembly
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I've never heard of such a thing. Can you be more specific as to which hoses would have to be rerouted where, how that could cause such a huge jump in mileage, and why cars wouldn't come that way from the factory?
I really dont know and I honestly dont think the guy knew either he said that people would reroute air hoses in chevy trucks into diferent places wich would make the air move differently through the engine causing a increase in mileage.And since I dont know anything really about cars I couldn't really understand what he was saying.
angus89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
He was likely refering to a hot air intake- pull warm air from around the exhaust into the air cleaner assembly
that accually kills my MPG on my chevette... like i mean getting 21mpg lol
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
Registered Member

Evan fusco from prius chat rerouted the airflow to his intake from the warm air from just above his exhaust manifold. The problem is that the air intake temp sensor changes the AF ratio to account for this and gives more gas to keep it from working. He tried several runs in cold weather and never gained more than 1 MPG total. But he knows more now than he did by doing nothing.
Dwayne
1fixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Registered Member

I remember the first time I went to the track as a driver, an old timer was trying to school me about intake tubes. He was saying that the length should be matched to the output of the engine, as it can affect the torque curve. Being 17 I realized I knew everything there was to know, and ignored him.

Maybe an intake tube that is properly matched in length to the torque curve will produce the greatest gas mileage as well? I trust the engineers (and bean counters) that built my cars are smarter than me.
GasSavers_Smoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Registered Member

haha engineers may design it to be all perfect but by the time it goes thru emmisions and the bean counters parts "disappear" and things are changed to be cheap...
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fixitman View Post
The problem is that the air intake temp sensor changes the AF ratio to account for this and gives more gas to keep it from working.
Hotter air is less dense meaning if it didn't correct for the IAT the mixture would actually go rich.