Restoring a vx - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

I went through a near-restoration on my VX after I bought it too.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1994784&page=1

With many 1/2 wit mods. and 238k miles mine needed a lot of attention too (though it did run well and had new paint).

Even now a year later I manage to keep the engine bay shiny clean (hard to do with it being my daily driver) minus a valve cover which likes to leak due to a cheap gasket on it.

Good luck with your restoration! Something I didn't do was strip and repaint my wheels. Hopefully in the future I will too.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks Dan.

More progress. Rear arms and struts are out, but bad news. All the bushings are completely shot and one arm looks just a little different than the other!

Looks like I'll be ordering a new set of rear lca's. Add it to my bill. At least the aluminum arms are lighter than the stockers by a couple pounds.

The color scheme isn't the keenest, but the products are quality. The Tein S springs are designed to work with stock struts, so the Tockico's should be fine.

Next up, front assemblies and rear drums blasted and painted, but that will have to wait until Friday night.

hondaguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:06 AM   #13

I made a tool to take off my lower pulley bolt.

I often use two wrenches to remove stubborn bolts. One on the bolt head and one on the nut. I put a wrench on the bolt head and let it turn until it stops against something solid. Then I turn the other wrench to get the nut off. That's the model.

I had some 1" square tubing laying around, so I drilled two holes in it about as far apart as two of the holes in the lower pulley. I then took two approx 3" bolts and bolted them through the tubing and through the pulley. I turned the socket on the bolt head until the tubing met an immoveable object. Then I really laid into it. Works like a charm. You could use flat stock if you wanted to, but I don't think anything wooden would be strong enough.

Putting the bolt back on and torquing it is the reverse process. The bolts were a LOT the worse for wear, but straightening them with a hammer worked just fine for the re-do.

Hope that helps.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #14
Registered Member

damn gotta <3 that crank pulley bolt ..
Nden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
Registered Member

Well, I almost messed up. The transmission I picked up as a replacement was an LX trans, not okay. I've had some experience in going through these transmissions, so I'll go ahead and replace the ISB (input shaft bearing) which was making tons of noise. This probably isn't in the cards for most untrained mechanics. Opening the case I was very pleased to find very little wear and few shavings on the magnet. This car was obviously never driven hard. The synchros and shift forks are in excellent condition.

I've replaced one front strut assembly so far. Pictures will come when both are done. Thank god the lowering springs are so much shorter, as I have not found the correct tool for compressing the tiny springs on these cars. The lower mount isn't particularly willing to be removed from the strut as well. This may take longer than I hoped!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
If you still need it, I have a spring compressor that works with Honda struts that you can borrow. Just let me know and I'll get it to you. I will be leaving town for Sioux Falls Friday afternoon and return sunday though.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #17
Registered Member

Thanks, Tom. I'm just letting the stock spring let loose. The Tein spring is short enough to engage the nut without a compressor. I'd guess the front drop is a bit more than the advertised 1.5"
Old 10-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Ok, then if you're doing that....place the strut/spring assembly between two wheels on the ground. Rim/tire (wheel) : Strut : Rim/tire (wheel) and then use the impact to loosen the strut nut as you stand on the wheels. This allows the assembly to come loose without the danger of the spring flying anywhere.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Looking good can't wait to see how it turns out!

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
Registered Member

I've actually started and moved the car to the far garage stall after reinstalling the driveline. She's running very nice minus not having an O2 sensor. I'm contemplating converting the assembly over to the much more affordable bosch sensor with the accompanying correct connector. The connector is available through VW. I'll be getting into the body work in short order.