Restoring a vx - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #41
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
If you can, take off the front fenders and get some POR-15 in the seams where the front fender mounts meet up with the main cabin structure. It's a known (by Honda) leaky point on our cars. there is even a TSB on them, but I can't find it right now.

Don't forget to seal up the inside of the rear quarter area between the inner wheel well and quarter panel so the rust doesn't come back. Also make sure you seal up the hole well that the rear bumper attachment is in the rear wheel wells. That area is another culprit for the rusty quarters as well.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #42
Registered Member

Thanks for the "ride". Looking forward to the next chapter.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #43
Registered Member

Honda Guy,

I applaud your ambition and skill. I purchased a VX in the sping and have really enjoyed it thus far. Like you, I wish it looked nicer inside and out. I've been wondering if it wouldn't be cheaper to swap in a vx engine into a non-vx civic, assuming i could find one that's in decent shape. I'm not a DIY guy, so I'd have to pay to have it done.

Larry
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #44
Registered Member

It would sure be a heck of a lot faster! The swap would be quite simple. The cluster is the only interior swap part with the shift indicator, otherwise it's a straight forward drive line swap. 92-95 hatchbacks are getting tougher to find in good condition. With the rust prevention I plan on completing as weather permits, I hope to have a chassis that will last far longer than Honda ever designed it to.
hondaguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
If you can, take off the front fenders and get some POR-15 in the seams where the front fender mounts meet up with the main cabin structure. It's a known (by Honda) leaky point on our cars. there is even a TSB on them, but I can't find it right now.

Don't forget to seal up the inside of the rear quarter area between the inner wheel well and quarter panel so the rust doesn't come back. Also make sure you seal up the hole well that the rear bumper attachment is in the rear wheel wells. That area is another culprit for the rusty quarters as well.
The rear quarters have been sealed in with 3m panel bond and internally top-coated with por15. The fenders will have to come off prior to paint anyhow. I'll take a picture and get your input as to where you think would be best to seal up. (probably a few weeks away)
Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #46
Registered Member

great work! i refinished my vx wheels as weel with the duplicolor silver and clear. my garage had alot of metal flakes floating around. my local powder coater charged me for sandblasting all 5 including the spare vx wheel i aquired from the salvage yard. looks original without alot of flash.
jmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #47
Registered Member

Re: Restoring a vx

Can't believe it's been this long since I've updated this thread. The car will be going in for paint in the next week or so. I fixed some rust in the gas door area with a wire wheel and por15. There are a few small spots on the rockers where the side skirts mount that will also be cleaned up and treated prior to paint. The interior is coming together now. I've acquired a full interior from a 99-00 civic si. The rear seat comes as a 60/40 and the rear seat back pan won't work in this year chassis. I brought the rear seat to a local shop and had the seat back pans swapped and the material re-cut to work for the eg chassis.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #48
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO

That will look shard in your VX, nice find. You'll have to tell me where this shop is so I can get some foam to re-cushion my Del Sol seats that are in my VX.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 AM   #49
Registered Member

JP Customs in Woodbury (home based shop)

Jon P
upholsterynmore@yahoo.com
Old 10-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #50
Registered Member

Thanks!

Quote: