Shell V-Power test - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #51
Registered Member

Fifth and final Shell mid-grade tank complete; 33.49MPG over 298 miles. I refilled with Shell regular this time.

Capsule summary to date, using five fills for each section:

Random Regular: 1439 miles and 44.13 gallons at 32.61 MPG.
Shell V-Power: 1577 miles and 45.301 gallons at 34.81 MPG.
Shell Mid-Grade: 1664 miles and 48.255 gallons at 34.48 MPG.

Rick

Old 08-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #52
Registered Member

First Shell regular segment complete; 34.30MPG over 330 miles.

Rick

Old 09-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #53
Registered Member

Second Shell regular segment complete; 33.30MPG over 330 miles.

Rick
Old 09-03-2007, 06:58 PM   #54
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
My first full tank was with 89 octane and fuel system cleaner. My second tank was the cheapest gas around in Worcester, MA at 10 cents cheaper than anything else in the area and the car is not running as smooth on it--basically negates the improvement I noticed when putting in the v-power spark plugs halfway through the last tank. I never paid attention to different types of gas and figured it was all marketing but I don't think I will put the cheapest gas in my car again. Or at least not Hess gas. Anyone have a bad or good experience with Hess gas?

Telco: I was told by my old mechanic that higher octane gas reduces fuel economy while also reducing emissions. It burns the gas quicker but cleaner.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #55
Registered Member

so it looks like so far that v-power doesnt do anyhting different that regular shell gas couldnt do...and i bet if it were making black cornflakes that your car would be running like ****......

now you should compare oh lets say BP or some other national name brand chains gas and see if shell gas is any better than another name brand. personally, at least around me, the semi fuel trucks all fill thie trailer at the same place, bp shell, thortons etc all line up and fill up from the same spout

but looks like the testing is going well! keep it up!

id do a test like this but i only fill up twice a month or so. it would take forevr and the weather changes would screw with things
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #56
Registered Member

Sometimes if you are patient enough you will see the gas truck hit two or three gas stations around the area all with different name gas stations. In essence gas is gas and it all comes from roughly the same place. Just go buy a bottle of walmart supertech fuel injector cleaner. Throw that in your tank. With that mix in you have the best tank of gas over and above what any gas station could give you. Try that you might be surprise.
bfg9000d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:34 PM   #57
Registered Member

A truck has multiple compartments, and only Shell stations will get gas with the Shell additive in it. But yeah, the base gas is pretty much the same in a given area.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:35 AM   #58
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
now you should compare oh lets say BP or some other national name brand chains gas and see if shell gas is any better than another name brand.
I think I've decided to run five tanks of regular Shell, then five tanks of random cheap gas as I always used to drive on.

Since my driving style has stabilized a lot, I'd like to then loop back and run through the whole sequence again, but the Winter fuel change may hit before I can do that. Bottom line is, there are so many variables I'd like to see more than one cycle through to see if any repeatable patterns emerge.

Shell versus BP or whatever is a good idea, and definitely worth pursuing.

Rick
Old 09-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #59
Registered Member

I know the truck has different compartments. My point was that it really wont matter what gas station you use you will get roughly the same FE. Unless you use a station that has had a history of giving bad gas. I would look more into using fuel injector cleaner like B12 Chemtool, Regain, RXP Gas Kicker, SuperTech Injector Cleaner etc. Then looking at different gas stations gas.
bfg9000d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #60
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfg9000d View Post
I would look more into using fuel injector cleaner like B12 Chemtool, Regain, RXP Gas Kicker, SuperTech Injector Cleaner etc. Then looking at different gas stations gas.
Let me know when you start your tests and we can cross-link the threads.

Rick