Shell V-Power test - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #81
Registered Member

hey rick,

i've been using shell for a while now. after testing the few gas stations in my area, it seems to yield the best FE tho just slightly better. have you seen the new shell credit card promotion? 5% rebates on shell gas purchases.

i emailed them to get the specs. it's a citi mastercard. the citi rewards program is very good. if it is a part of that rewards program, i WILL be getting one. just got to pay the balance in full EVERY month. hopefully they'll email back soon.

www.877myshell.com

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #82
Registered Member

Thanks for the post, bowtieguy! Results are still inconclusive for me, but we'll see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
have you seen the new shell credit card promotion? 5% rebates on shell gas purchases.
No, but I already have an AmEx Open business credit card that gives me 5% back on gasoline purchases (pretty much any brand), so I haven't been looking.

Rick

Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #83
Registered Member

Fifth and final "random regular" tank complete; 33.83MPG over 383 miles. Refilled with Shell V-Power to start the second cycle of testing.

Cumulative results:

Random Regular: 3310 miles and 98.543 gallons at 33.59 MPG.

Capsule summary, using five fills for each section (dates are dates of fills):

09/26 - 10/17 Random Regular: 1871 miles and 54.413 gallons at 34.39 MPG.
08/29 - 09/20 Shell Regular: 1687 miles and 49.69 gallons at 33.94 MPG.
08/06 - 08/27 Shell Mid-Grade: 1664 miles and 48.26 gallons at 34.48 MPG.
07/06 - 07/31 Shell V-Power: 1577 miles and 45.30 gallons at 34.81 MPG.
06/11 - 06/30 Random Regular: 1439 miles and 44.13 gallons at 32.61 MPG.

(Note: I flipped the order so the most recent entries are at the top, to match the gaslogs.)

This basically completes ABA testing for the original intent, which was to find out if V-Power "degunking" would have any affect on my FE. There was a jump when I started using Shell that stayed with me to some degree, even after going back to cheap gas. While some of the long-term gain has to be from improved driving technique, it seems possible that V-Power did some cleanup (though I don't notice the engine running any smoother or anything of that nature). If someone else wants to run the same sort of test -- starting with a high-mileage engine that's always been run on cheap stuff so there's some potential for gunkification -- I think it might be worthwhile.

At this point I'm looping through the test again. If I see another step up in FE that partially stays with me, that might say there's still gunk being cleaned out by the V-Power. But I'm doing another cycle because the question came up as to whether V-Power or Shell in general might provide higher FE for whatever reason (lower/no ethanol content, a "slippery" formula, etc.) If so, I'm hoping a trend will emerge from the noise floor of variable traffic and weather, aero mods, tire pressure changes, continued adjustments to the nut behind the wheel, and so on.

Rick
Old 10-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #84
Registered Member

First Shell V-Power segment complete in cycle two; 35.23MPG over 399 miles.

Rick
Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #85
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
A good test to make sure your study isn't suffering from the "expectancy effect" would be to have someone fill your tank for you and you not know who did it. That way we can be sure your driving techniques aren't being (even subconsciously) affected to garner a desired result. But it does look like you are getting about an 4-8% increase in FE from the V-Power.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:11 PM   #86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
A good test to make sure your study isn't suffering from the "expectancy effect" would be to have someone fill your tank for you and you not know who did it.
Since I use a consistent fill method -- and since knowing who filled the tank doesn't matter -- I presume you meant to say have someone else fill my tank so I wouldn't know what they filled it with?

Quote:
That way we can be sure your driving techniques aren't being (even subconsciously) affected to garner a desired result.
Unnecessary, since I have no desired result.

Quote:
But it does look like you are getting about an 4-8% increase in FE from the V-Power.
I'm not prepared to say that. There are too many other variables that could easily account for the shift in numbers at this early stage. I think only a trend over the long haul -- after the short-term variables have had a chance to average out -- will have any significance.

How's that for thumbing my nose at "expectancy effect?"

Rick
Old 10-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #87
Registered Member

It's very true about some vehicles like certain brands of gasoline more than others.

I have a 68 bug that does very well on our cheap nasty Arco gasoline and my brother had an old ford ranger and that would not run worth a darn on Arco no power running poorly and would backfire all the time.

One fill-up with chevron and that truck took off like it was new again.
Lots of power and no backfiring. So despite what my grandpa says there is a difference between brands of fuel and quality of fuel.
Freedom_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #88
Registered Member

Thumbs up

It's very true about some vehicles like certain brands of gasoline more than others.

I have a 68 bug that does very well on our cheap nasty Arco gasoline and my brother had an old ford ranger and that would not run worth a darn on Arco no power running poorly and would backfire all the time.

One fill-up with chevron and that truck took off like it was new again.
Lots of power and no backfiring. So despite what my grandpa says there is a difference between brands of fuel and quality of fuel.

Maybe there should be more fuel to car brand testing.

old fords may like 76 better than shell while dodge trucks may like shell better than 76
Freedom_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:47 AM   #89
Registered Member

Second Shell V-Power segment complete in cycle two; 32.91MPG over 308 miles.

Rick
Old 11-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #90
Registered Member

Third Shell V-Power segment complete in cycle two; 32.56 MPG over 377 miles.

Rick