Showing off my attempt at a grill block - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #11
Registered Member

Nicely done.

Just change those screws to Dzus fasteners and you'll be good to go. Modify it by cutting it in half for further adaptability.

FWIW, even on a 75 degree day here while hauling a half ton of dirt, our truck provided no hint of an overheat with the grille block in. (But the radiatory is arguably oversized for heavy loads anyway.) I'd wager that most vehicles could stand to have the block in more often than not.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #12
Supporting Member

omgwtfbyobbq -

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
In terms of automation, I say run a solenoid, like the ones that pop doors, with the radiator fan switch on your spring loaded shutters. Normally, the force of the spring keeps 'em closed, and when the fan turns on, the door solenoid/s pulls the metal cable/s attached to them to open 'em up. Or just use a metal cable run into the cab, that's what I was planning on doing. KISS.
For Saturns, a radiator fan switch solves all your problems. The counter-intuitive trick to lower coolant temps in a Saturn is to turn ON the AC because that always makes the electric radiator fan come on. That mod is on my short list.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. So far, I haven't had problems with overheating, so no need (yet) to punch holes or louvres or whatever. Modding it so it has a sliding panel is food for thought. And, yeah, I suppose I should have done something temporary that can be quickly modified with a knife while on the road. I haven't gone thru a tank of gas yet, either. Unfortunately, whatever savings the grill block gets me on this tank is going to be overwhelmed by the recent change in the driving I have to do. Been spending a lot more time in rush hour traffic, with thrilling consequences like having to wait through 2 or even 3 cycles of some stop lights.
bzipitidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
VERY NICE! it looks so much cleaner and easier on a boxy car.

when i clicked on the link i thought it was going to be the last generation of celicas