fuel economy forum
vegan recipes
green home improvement
honda gas mileage

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

also on high speed cornering

also on high speed cornering my rear wheels develop more toe in to stabilize the rear end. Never in the lifetime of owning the vehicle has the back ever slipped, even with ****ty tire. I did have some understeer when I made a high speed u-turn. On my cousin civic I turned really fast and the back slid out HAHAHAHA

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #13
Registered Member

Re: also on high speed cornering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
also on high speed cornering my rear wheels develop more toe in to stabilize the rear end. Never in the lifetime of owning the vehicle has the back ever slipped, even with ****ty tire. I did have some understeer when I made a high speed u-turn. On my cousin civic I turned really fast and the back slid out HAHAHAHA
My old Civic was setup for autocross and did the same thing -- it was fun.

But yes, I had probably about 400-lbs. of bricks in the back of the Integra, and it had a nice, lowered look when parked (only in the back of-course). We never hit the bump-stops during the ride so, it was all good (who needs an SUV when you have a hatchback???)

Imagine a wheel pivoting on the suspension attachment point -- when it goes up, the 12-o'clock position tilts in while the 6-o'clock tilts out. You can really see it on the front of old worn-out Ford Tempos. The suspension sags in the back while the front wheels tilt outward due to the extension of the suspension. Watching them go over a bump shows the whole indpendent suspension process in excess (except the rear -- not indep.) -- the front wheels will tilt in and out over an undulation while the suspension goes down and up, respectively. Old, poorly maintained 300Z's have this problem in the rear as they sag over time as well.

RH77
(KCØWPM)
Old 05-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:How is your progress

Quote:
How is your progress on the grill block??
haven't started. well, not true. i put some fresh tape on to keep the cardboard from falling off completely. i may go have a look at the grille block issue this evening.

Quote:
Have you had any problem with suspension travel (camber) and the flare location?
no - but i haven't really checked it. there's about a 1.5 inch gap between the skirt and the wheel, so i'm thinking it'll be okay. plus the flare is out, not in, so there's actually slightly more space at the very bottom of the skirt. though it's hard to tell from that pic.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:19 AM   #15
Registered Member

wow didn't know you can

wow didn't know you can cover up the front wheels too and expect the reduce drag to have an affect there. By the way does water evenually unsticky the velco?

the only disadvantage i see with wheel skirts (besides the look) is that the fact if your trying to check pressure and the air nozzle is hidden, then that will be indeed a pain.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:33 AM   #16
Registered Member

push the car forward or back

push the car forward or back to get to the nozzle. When I don't want to start my car I just move it forward or back.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:04 AM   #17
Registered Member

Re: wow didn't know you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmcneal
wow didn't know you can cover up the front wheels too and expect the reduce drag to have an affect there.
phil, check the pics in this thread:
http://www.gassavers.org/forum_topic/aerodynamics_performance_and_economy.html

Quote:
By the way does water evenually unsticky the velco?
no - it's a mechanical connection between the two halves, and the adhesive holding the velcro to the car & skirt is waterproof.

as i mentioned though, i'd be careful with a pressure washer. directed high pressure water might peel the glue.

Quote:
the only disadvantage i see with wheel skirts (besides the look) is that the fact if your trying to check pressure and the air nozzle is hidden, then that will be indeed a pain.
you know, i have slowly come to like the look. since the plastic skirts turned out nicely, i *really* like the look. though wheel skirts are probably the pocket protector equivalent in automotive fashion.

compaq's right - just roll the car to get to the valve. (or clean the wheel, whatever). it's just one more thing that's slightly more work to get slightly better mpg.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #18
Registered Member

Noticed something else

I noticed something else in your skirt pic. Have you altered the spaces in the wheels themselves? It looks like black inserts in the gaps with a hole for the valve stem. Is that stock, and if not, has it helped?

It would be a next to impossible for my 30-something-spoke wheels (and I'm sure covers to go over the entire wheel aren't made -- plus the concern that it would have an adverse effect on brake cooling).
Old 05-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #19
Driving on E

Re: Noticed something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
It would be a next to impossible for my 30-something-spoke wheels (and I'm sure covers to go over the entire wheel aren't made -- plus the concern that it would have an adverse effect on brake cooling).
From what I've read brake cooling is only an issue if you're braking a LOT... and by "a lot" i mean going down mountains on a regular basis. People here in Utah use their brakes going down mountains and don't konw why their cars catch on fire.

I think for the most part brake cooling isn't even to be factored in.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:18 PM   #20
Registered Member

you can buy dish hubcaps

you can buy dish hubcaps that are completly covering your rim. They are exactly the same ones on that aerodynamic truck.