Summer time testing... need your ideas - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #1
Driving on E

Summer time testing... need your ideas

Discussion has been slow here lately, and I'm sure that it's partly due to the fact that we all have lives. Now that the sun is out it's much easier to actually "live" our lives.

I was thinking that we need a few experiments that we can all participate in during the summer. Those with instant MPG readings will be more than able to give fast updates and status.

Soooo...

What are some ideas that you can think of to test this summer? I'm planning on testing LRR tires to get some more data. I'll hopefully be able to do the rear wheel skirts this summer as well as the belly pan.

Does anyone have interest in doing a "group" project? How about multiple projects?

Maybe it's time we test some of the gimmick products. Hell, I'll even buy a number of MPG pills and send them out if enough people will test them.

So, tell me what you want to do and we'll get it organized.

Matt

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:44 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Discussion has been slow here lately, and I'm sure that it's partly due to the fact that we all have lives. Now that the sun is out it's much easier to actually "live" our lives.
I was just thinking that it is because SVOboy is on vacation.

Quote:
I was thinking that we need a few experiments that we can all participate in during the summer. Those with instant MPG readings will be more than able to give fast updates and status.

Soooo...

What are some ideas that you can think of to test this summer? I'm planning on testing LRR tires to get some more data. I'll hopefully be able to do the rear wheel skirts this summer as well as the belly pan.

Does anyone have interest in doing a "group" project? How about multiple projects?

Maybe it's time we test some of the gimmick products. Hell, I'll even buy a number of MPG pills and send them out if enough people will test them.

So, tell me what you want to do and we'll get it organized.

Matt
Well I'm up for that. But as always there are variables that are difficult to control which can lead to less than conclusive results. A good example is a test I just ran this morning. It was the exact same test that I ran yesterday afternoon which yielded 66.4 MPG on the highway at 55 with no CODfishing. This morning I thought I would see the difference if I CODfished down the hills. Well much to my dismay, the results were worse! Only 64MPG. Buuuut CODfishing wasn't the only variable! It was also 20F cooler! I noticed that while climbing the hills at the edge of Lean Burn (around 6.0ms injector pulsewidth) I peaked the hills at a significantly lower speed (3-4 mph less). So that means less power or more drag. Other variables were new plugs and plug wires. My guess is denser air at the lower temps caused more drag.

I finished off my morning test with a speed drive thru the park, about 5 miles at 20mph average speed and some CODfishing. I ended up with 87.5 MPG. The best with the Del Sol was 83MPG.

OK Matt, lets dream up some tests! But before I start I need to finish up this tank to calibrate the SuperMID. I'm thinking my FE is actually better than indicated. I hope to confirm that on the next fill.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

Ive been testing my A/C. Its nice and cold.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:45 AM   #4
XFi
Registered Member

I would love if someone did a test utilizing a CAI (Ram Air) during the summer time (with vehicle warmed up). I know I seem to be bucking the WAI trend, but I swear I get better fuel economy in the summer with this. Maybe it's the theory of more HP = more Fuel Economy, or maybe I am just seeing what I want to.

I gave up on my WAI until winter.

Anyone with a Scan Gauge or Super MID (with some extra ducting to temporarily attach to your air intake) up for this?

If this has been done recently and documented, I appoligize for not checking all the old threads.

Join us for the November 22, 2008 Pennsylvania Meet at Cabela's!
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....634#post121634
XFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFi
I would love if someone did a test utilizing a CAI (Ram Air) during the summer time (with vehicle warmed up). I know I seem to be bucking the WAI trend, but I swear I get better fuel economy in the summer with this. Maybe it's the theory of more HP = more Fuel Economy, or maybe I am just seeing what I want to.

I gave up on my WAI until winter.

Anyone with a Scan Gauge or Super MID (with some extra ducting to temporarily attach to your air intake) up for this?

If this has been done recently and documented, I appoligize for not checking all the old threads.
I did the CAI (hose to a hole in the airdam. Is that what you mean by CAI?) test before the WAI. The CAI show no change in FE with 4 runs each at 35 and 55 mph. The WAI also is no good for my car showing a decrease in FE with the WAI. I'm looking for the results of the CAI runs but can find the data. But I'm know it had no effect.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:54 AM   #6
Registered Member

Summer is about the only time to do reliable mpg testing. You only have about 4 months. So test.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

I've gone as far as I can with my abilities with aero,fuel,and lubrication. I personally would like to start on the ignition system. Plugs. Preferably Halo's there the only one's I found that have field data showing a 10% increase in FE with the Little Rock Police. Low resistance plug wires and mybe MSD. Then onto LLR and light weight wheels.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
Driving on E

Would anyone be willing to try the tornado, just so we can add more fuel to the fire?

I mean, it WOULD be nice to have a place to point to on the internet where people have tested it, taken results, and published them...

don't you think?

Maybe we can get some for cheap from the distributor.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:13 AM   #9
Registered Member

Heres some stuff to try:

http://search.ebay.com/save-gas-impr...refinesearchZ1

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:43 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Would anyone be willing to try the tornado, just so we can add more fuel to the fire?

I mean, it WOULD be nice to have a place to point to on the internet where people have tested it, taken results, and published them...

don't you think?

Maybe we can get some for cheap from the distributor.
I did a-b-a tornado testing about 3 years ago. I had my truck for 6 years, I've been driving for 28 years. Like I said 1 mpg mixed driveing. Don't ask for details. I drove 50 miles round trip to job in middle of summer. 75% hiway. Im very slow at typeing, & on aol so I lose post sometimes