Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-25-2006, 01:11 AM   #51
Registered Member

Re: How does it work so that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Also would this mpg computer work with 0bd2??
Absolutely, but if you have obd2 I'd just get a scangauge. It's cheaper, in MPG, and you can order one right now.
After reading hybrid forums this computer seems to be better than the scanguage at the fuel economy. I think by having it I can raise my mpg on the street by at least one and on the freeway by a couple. I know 40mpg is possible but it's a lot of trial and error. With this thing it can be achieved and much more!

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:42 AM   #52
Registered Member

SuperMID Update

First, an update on the SuperMID and ignition off. I was focused on watching the pulse width go to zero and the SuperMID staying powered up, which it does. What I just noticed though is that the distance stops accumulating while the key is off. But you can't blame the SuperMID, it is still able to record distance, it's just that ignition off also cuts power to the speed sensor, so it is not able to send a pulse.

So yesterday, the SuperMID said 64.5 MPG on the way to work and 63.5 on the way home. I was very surprised that the difference between the two wasn't more. On the Prius, in similar temps it would be 65 there and 55 back.

So since I expected 51 MPG, a 64 MPG ave is close to 30% overregistration. Also, the distance was low by 3% so the total change to the fuel parameter was around 30%. I changed the distance parameter from 2572 to 2659 and the fuel parameter from 14052 to 10837. For the final stap, I filled the tank to the 2.5 OHM mark which worked out to 51.9 MPG.

More to come!

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #53
Registered Member

OBD-1 MPG

I've got a '95 F150 Ford with the I-6 EFI engine. I'm in Northern Canada where kilometres and litres are used, the truck speedometer and odometer are digital kilometres. Would the MID work for my truck?
MJ
john galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:16 AM   #54
Registered Member

Re: SuperMID Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
First, an update on the SuperMID and ignition off. I was focused on watching the pulse width go to zero and the SuperMID staying powered up, which it does. What I just noticed though is that the distance stops accumulating while the key is off. But you can't blame the SuperMID, it is still able to record distance, it's just that ignition off also cuts power to the speed sensor, so it is not able to send a pulse.
Thank you for the report.
I see the limitation during the IG-OFF period.
Quote:
So since I expected 51 MPG, a 64 MPG ave is close to 30% overregistration. Also, the distance was low by 3% so the total change to the fuel parameter was around 30%.
I believe the 3% short was caused by the IGN-OFF distance.
Quote:
I changed the distance parameter from 2572 to 2659 and the fuel parameter from 14052 to 10837. For the final stap, I filled the tank to the 2.5 OHM mark which worked out to 51.9 MPG.
I think I must disagree to do such parameter change.
Because...
- Such parameter change maybe fits your current commute route and the environment, but it'll not always true on different road and environments.
- The parameters should not be set to meet your MPG value.
- The fuel usage parameter should be set to meet your real fuel usage.
- The distance parameter should be set to meet your real IG-ON distance.
- You can calculate your mileage using the fuel usage from the SuperMID and the Del Sol's trip meter.
- You can still refer to the engine-on mileage value.
- Please forget the SuperMID's mileage and distance value if you did some IGN-OFF technique.

That's my opinions.
Yoshi
GasSavers_Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:31 AM   #55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
I think I must disagree to do such parameter change.
Because...
- Such parameter change maybe fits your current commute route and the environment, but it'll not always true on different road and environments.
- The parameters should not be set to meet your MPG value.
- The fuel usage parameter should be set to meet your real fuel usage.
- The distance parameter should be set to meet your real IG-ON distance.
- You can calculate your mileage using the fuel usage from the SuperMID and the Del Sol's trip meter.
- You can still refer to the engine-on mileage value.
- Please forget the SuperMID's mileage and distance value if you did some IGN-OFF technique.

That's my opinions.
Yoshi
Yoshi, This is not the final calibration. I just want to get close. The distance calibration will be done with mile parker posts on the highway and the fuel calibration will be completed after I compare this tank fill to what the Supermid says.

Thanks for you advice.

Dan

Old 02-26-2006, 07:19 AM   #56
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
Yoshi, This is not the final calibration. I just want to get close. The distance calibration will be done with mile parker posts on the highway and the fuel calibration will be completed after I compare this tank fill to what the Supermid says.
Dan, thank you for comments.
I thought the 3% adjustment was for the IGN-OFF distance and it was almost right on on your first test (6.0 mile vs 6.01 mile display).

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the further test results.
Yoshi
GasSavers_Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #57
Driving on E

Re: OBD-1 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt
I've got a '95 F150 Ford with the I-6 EFI engine. I'm in Northern Canada where kilometres and litres are used, the truck speedometer and odometer are digital kilometres. Would the MID work for my truck?
MJ
In my opinion, absolutely. You'll have the added benefit of having KMs and liters already in your head.

From my understanding the SuperMID only attaches to one injector wire, but that's all that you really need in order to properly calibrate the system.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #58
Registered Member

Re: OBD-1 MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt
MJ
In my opinion, absolutely. You'll have the added benefit of having KMs and liters already in your head.

From my understanding the SuperMID only attaches to one injector wire, but that's all that you really need in order to properly calibrate the system.
Yes, one injector wire and the speed sensor wire.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:58 AM   #59
Registered Member

First Commute with Calibrated SuperMID.

Just wanted to report on my first drive to work with the calibrated SuperMID. This is an interim calibration meant to get me close. The final calibrations will happen as I fill the tank and adjust for any error.

The trip distance showed 40.61 km, compared to my Prius distance of 41.04. The difference is probably due to the momentary IGN off during shut down. Half a km feels about right.

The FE was 22.23 km/L or 52.3 MPG. This feels abolut right to because the trip to work ends at a lower elevation so the trip back should be less and bring the number down between 51 and 52, where my last three tanks ended up. So the calibration seems close.

What is also worth mentioning is that it was quite cold this morning, about 15F when I left. Normally I would have expected to lose a few MPG due to the colder temps. But it seems that the EBH was able to offset the temp penalty. I plugged in the EBH at 5:30 AM and the cylinder head temp was 42F, as was the ambient temp in my garage. An hour later, I had consumed 380W of power at a cost of less than 4 cents. The cylinder head temp was up to 77F, or 35F over ambient. In earlier measurements over the weekend, the EBH is capable of raising the cylinder head temp about 43F above ambient after 1.5 hours. That seems to be steady state and there is no benefit in heating for longer.

I will follow up later today with data from the drive home.

Old 02-27-2006, 04:34 PM   #60
Registered Member

The rest of the Commute

The drive home sucked! Wet roads, snow falling and a moderate headwind, 32F. The SuperMID said 47.5 MPG. Bleh. I wish I had somewhere to plug in the EBH at work. Thinking about using the battery to power my 400W inverter for the EBH about an hour before leaving work. Prolly drain the battery. meh