Trip computer / ScanGuage equivalent - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

Trip computer / ScanGuage equivalent

Hello...got a quick question that I have been curious about for a while...does anyone know of an aftermarket trip computer or device so I can measure instant mileage and fuel use on an older (pre-ODBII) car?

I drive a 1991 Mercedes 190e 2.6 5 speed. It gets pretty good mileage, but I would like some more objective data so I can drive more efficiently.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!

--Randall
Concord, NC

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Supporting Member

super mid is a one that a member sells here

Old 04-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
*shrug*

Hey there, I just got your email...was about to reply. It won't work with your vehicle, I'm afraid. The closest you will easily get is some sort of vacuum gauge to measure load...

And welcome to the site!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

A 190 with a 5 speed, wow.

How long have you had this car?

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanengen View Post
Hello...got a quick question that I have been curious about for a while...does anyone know of an aftermarket trip computer or device so I can measure instant mileage and fuel use on an older (pre-ODBII) car?
I've been trying to answer this very question myself. There are, in fact, such devices - finding them, however, has been problematic. In my early looking-around I came across Andrew Eve's site, which has some promising information, but I've been unable to contact him via email. If anyone has any more info on the JIMS-manufactured "car-deck computer" he pictures (like where to get them...), please, let us know! I haven't yet tried calling the number on his website.

He also makes mention of the OzTrip Car Computer manufactured by OzTechnics, and again, I've received no response to my inquiry to them. I will try again soon, but from their website, it appears they are defunct or at least no longer making/selling the OzTrip.
Maillemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maillemann View Post
I've been trying to answer this very question myself. There are, in fact, such devices - finding them, however, has been problematic. In my early looking-around I came across Andrew Eve's site, which has some promising information, but I've been unable to contact him via email. If anyone has any more info on the JIMS-manufactured "car-deck computer" he pictures (like where to get them...), please, let us know! I haven't yet tried calling the number on his website.

He also makes mention of the OzTrip Car Computer manufactured by OzTechnics, and again, I've received no response to my inquiry to them. I will try again soon, but from their website, it appears they are defunct or at least no longer making/selling the OzTrip.
Mailleman, you have in your garage listing a 1996 VW. I am under the impression that 1996 and forward are OBDII. If so, I would advise to spring for the ScanGauge, a good product with a known history and pedigree.

It has been arguably the most important item I have added to my car. Somewhere today on GasSavers is a thread of a deal for $149, shipped.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Hey there, I just got your email...was about to reply. It won't work with your vehicle, I'm afraid. The closest you will easily get is some sort of vacuum gauge to measure load...

And welcome to the site!
Thanks.! I had a feeling that it might not work...if only MB had used an EFI system. :-) Makes me think harder about getting a megasquirt system for the car.

I am seriously thinking about putting a vacuum gauge in the car and see what I can do with it.

--Randall

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ZX2 View Post
Mailleman, you have in your garage listing a 1996 VW. I am under the impression that 1996 and forward are OBDII. If so, I would advise to spring for the ScanGauge, a good product with a known history and pedigree.
My vehicle is indeed a 1996 model and would be OBDII compliant if it were a gasser, but it's a diesel, which apparantly had some exemptions until the following year. Whatever the case, my Passat is equipped with the older style BK ECU (black-case) which is non-OBDII and therefore I cannot use a ScanGauge. I have tried (with two seperate units), and after discovering the reason why it wouldn't function I reported the issue to Linear-Logic. It is now on their compatibility list: 1996 WORKS ON ALL EXCEPT: Ford, GM and Dodge trucks with diesel engines. VW TDI with a Black ECU

1996 Passat TDIs with a GQ (silver) ECU are OBDII compliant and can use the Scanguage with no problem, so there are basically three routes I could go to getting a mileage/trip computer.

1. Get a GQ ECU and use a ScanGauge. I'd rather not due to cost and the reportedly better mileage with the BK.
2. Install an OE MFA trip computer. Not something I really want to do, but I might, if it comes to that.
3. Find another device which doesn't require OBDII. Since it is clear that such devices exist, this seems to me the best option for me at this time for the functionality I want.

Maillemann is offline   Reply With Quote