Trying out an aftermarket intake - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Trying out an aftermarket intake

So since I've seen dyno charts of the J's Racing Intake, I've always wondered what it would do for my MPG

Picture of the knock-off intake I bought ($65 as opposed to the $266 for the real deal made in carbon fiber):

And one of the dyno charts noting the increase of torque from 4000 RPM and below:
Quote:
the setup is a '00 JDM ITR wit a 1 piece head gasket, ARP headstuds, Buddy Club spec 4's,CTR N-1 Pulley, Portflow springs and retainers. The tranny is '00 Spoon ITR tranny with a 4.9 ATS final. Excedy thin sprung 6 puck and chromoly flywheel.
All tuned with a Hondata stage 2
The red line is the J's and the green line is the AEM
So far I've noticed a 1-2% reduction in the amount of throttle needed to accelerate and at cruising speed. I just filled up and will do a follow-up after the first tank and for a few tanks after.

It makes my VX sound totally different! It sounds like a fast car now. But I'll stifle my urge to accelerate excessively. Plus it looks like my car took some form of Male Enhancement, lol.
Comparison of the J's Style intake to the OEM VX (you can easily tell which is which)

and a pic of it installed in Thrifty McGassaver:

Feel free to comment, and voice your opinion, but remember, constructive input is best, and besides, this is just an experiment.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
*shrug*

How did you attach it to the 40mm TB?

I might try out the whale penis if you get good results.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I used an old trick from my performance shop days....I had a previous coupler that was the right size to fit the VX Throttle body so I cut off enough of it to fit over the TB and then the reducer that came with the intake fit perfectly.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
*shrug*

Mmm, interesting. You don't have an MID do you? Get one!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Registered Member

nope, sorry, I don't have one and don't have the money to buy one really. the intake was a birthday present that I got a little early. My birthday is on the 9th but I couldn't wait to install the intake, lol. I'm also getting Guitar Hero2 for my other B-day present. The SuperMIDs are like $150 aren't they?

Quote:
Old 04-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
*shrug*

Yeah, prolly the best 150 bucks I didn't give to charity,
Old 04-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

Gh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
nope, sorry, I don't have one and don't have the money to buy one really. the intake was a birthday present that I got a little early. My birthday is on the 9th but I couldn't wait to install the intake, lol. I'm also getting Guitar Hero2 for my other B-day present. The SuperMIDs are like $150 aren't they?
Geez, I'm hooked on GH2! Great game...
Old 04-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

Have any ideas on efficiency yet? My car came with an after market aluminum intake. It has a 3" ID. I am currently running a PVC WAI that I like to call my Doo-Doo Shoot Intake (Patent not really Pending). I can't say I noticed a change at all in efficiency....
kwtorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Registered Member

UPDATE:

I've just added my first gaslog entry with the first full tank ran with the new intake. It shows about a 1MPG increase without any other changes. Not horrible, but not bad either. I feel that it was worth it due to the fact that the filter is "re-chargeable".

Quote:
Old 04-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

UPDATE:

Just added the second tank log. Not as good as the first but there was about 5 miles of WOT action during this tank. I was showing off the intake to some friends...now they want them for their cars too, lol. I should be able to keep things nice and smooth now especially since my new bling on the back of the car.

Quote: