Vortex Generators / Hmmm Airtabs - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #41
Registered Member

Try hosting/linking them on box.net, they have large file hosting iirc.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:28 AM   #42
Registered Member

Good suggestion, thanks. Previous message edited with links to files.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:58 AM   #43
Registered Member

So if I'm reading that chart right, the most improvement from the Airtabs was in the bumper and lower valence area? That seems strange . . .
vegasjetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #44
Registered Member

From what I've gathered, any change in angle greater than ~15 degrees will result in seperation and a low pressure area. Underneath the car, the flow is very turbulent, so on a normal car, this flow is more likely to be pulled into the low pressure zone behind the vehicle compared to the relatively smooth flow over and around the vehicle, which is what's creating the pressure drop behind the vehicle. By filling this low pressure zone with air, the greatest change we see should be around the bottom.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #45
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to FormulaTwo
Hmmm Airtabs

So i went ahead and ordered some air tabs, at $2.50 they would be worth testing out.

The company ships them extremely fast.
They send you a little template to help you position them, and they have adhesive on the undersides.

I ordered 5 to put across my roof line in the rear.

First i cleaned the entire area with windex.
Then i cleaned it with Alcohol.
I then heated the airtab adhesive so that it would adhere even further.

On the directions it says to let them stick for around 15 minutes to make sure. Even though you can drive with them on there as soon as installed.
I waited around an hour.

Well that night i parked outside
When i got outside there was the usual dew on my car. It was probably around 50 degrees as I start my 15 mile drive to work.
I get around a mile down the road, look in my rearview and what else but something black flying off the top of my car.

It is funny how the first thing that pops into your head when you realize something has just taken flight off your car is denial.

Did not have time to go back and get it because I was heading to work.
When i make it to work i get out and sure enough there is an airtab missing....

So i tug on the others to see if they are loose also. Each of the remaining tabs slid around in the remaining dew on the roof.

So i wasted $2.50 this week, thats an entire gallon of gas.
I have to find a way to try and restick these things.
We have 3m adhesive tape at my work which is used on vent visors etc...
but i feel like that may be too thick.

FormulaTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:56 PM   #46
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
weird....
Old 10-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
So i went ahead and ordered some air tabs, at $2.50 they would be worth testing out.

The company ships them extremely fast.
They send you a little template to help you position them, and they have adhesive on the undersides.

I ordered 5 to put across my roof line in the rear.

First i cleaned the entire area with windex.
Then i cleaned it with Alcohol.
I then heated the airtab adhesive so that it would adhere even further.

On the directions it says to let them stick for around 15 minutes to make sure. Even though you can drive with them on there as soon as installed.
I waited around an hour.

Well that night i parked outside
When i got outside there was the usual dew on my car. It was probably around 50 degrees as I start my 15 mile drive to work.
I get around a mile down the road, look in my rearview and what else but something black flying off the top of my car.

It is funny how the first thing that pops into your head when you realize something has just taken flight off your car is denial.

Did not have time to go back and get it because I was heading to work.
When i make it to work i get out and sure enough there is an airtab missing....

So i tug on the others to see if they are loose also. Each of the remaining tabs slid around in the remaining dew on the roof.

So i wasted $2.50 this week, thats an entire gallon of gas.
I have to find a way to try and restick these things.
We have 3m adhesive tape at my work which is used on vent visors etc...
but i feel like that may be too thick.

I've used Gorilla Glue to glue things on the body of cars before. Holds on nice and tight but if you pry it off they tend to pop off without ruining the paint at all.
I emailed them about it out of curiosity, and they said it was because the glue could "foam out" on the clearcoat but it couldn't actually attach to it.

I'd put a few drops somewhere to test it on your paint first, anyhow(just in case). Good Luck!
nonnef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #48
Registered Member

hmm that's very peculiar they fell off that quickly! If i were you I'd contact the air-tab company, they seem like a real consumer focused company, I'm sure they will either send you a new one, or atleast recommend a great way to attach them
Old 10-30-2006, 04:52 AM   #49
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Hey I wanted to test them on my xB which as you know is a big square box with lots of turbulance in the rear - you would not believe the dirt that piles up back there. So what kinds of polish have you been using on the roof? Sounds like maybe you should have heated the painted surface after you cleaned it with alcohol. I think if I were to add them to my roof line I would attach them to the rear hatch in the gap between the roof and the hatch by hooking them on the leading edge of the hatch. Next time used a clean tissue with some Acetone on it to prep the surface. Maybe safety string the back ends together too and then some really sticky clean packing tape over the leading edges. You may have to compound the painted surface to break through the glaze to get them to stick better, mask off the area with tape first and bust the shine on the paint a little - you should be able to polish it back up if it you don't keep them on.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:56 AM   #50
Registered Member

Silly question: how are you going to determine if they work / don't work? (Assuming you can keep them stuck on the car )

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote