WAI Experiment Questions - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

WAI Experiment Questions

ok, i'm going to attempt my next mod, WAI. got some questions tho. looking at the archives, not all information and pictures are still available. so...

is florida's relatively warm winter going to make this effort futile?

i have 2 inlets going to the air cleaner. one in the wheel well, the other is a snorkel near the grill. should i route both or only one to the exhaust manifold? routing the snorkel would be extremely easy to install/uninstall, so i could just block the wheel well inlet.

but, do i need both ambient and hot air to get the desired temp?

i do have a scan gauge, so IAT can be monitored. staying below 200*F is the goal correct?

anything else i need to know?

thank you for your suggestions.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

I don't think your effort will be futile because you reside in Florida. You just won't do anything as extreme as someone in new england might try. I like the idea of blocking the fenderwell intake (I did this myself with duct tape) and you can route the other to the mainifold. Make sure your air intake isn't restricted by blocking the fenderwell though. Something that's reversible is nice. Because you are in Florida you may do well from just moving the snorkel to the manifold and leaving the fender intake alone. Depends on how hot you're trying to make it. I hear temps over 200 are bad, that some computer systems richen the mixture to try and cool the engine.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

the way I did it was to:

remove my airbox from the car
use a wood bit hole saw to drill a hole in the airbox (2")
replace airbox in car
use metal tape to cover existing inlet hole
purchase flexible exhaust tubing (18" long)
place the tube in the hole and route to exhaust manifold
use some spare wire to hold the tube in place
use the metal tape to cover the gap between the tube and the airbox
monitor the IAT temps on scangauge

I later added a heat shield in front of the inlet. I am using it like an anti-heat shield to keep the cooler air out of the intake.

the total cost for me was about $10 and I like to keep the temps below about 180 but that is just me. anything above what you were getting will help. mine was usually just about 5 degrees above the outside temp.

good luck, it is a good mod

*edit* there is a pic of my finished product in my garage. also, project84 did a write up on his as well. can't remember what the name of the thread was.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

Beef,

i've seen yours, and it looks really good.

what i'm looking at is a simple, easily reversable one. it seems as tho i can take some flexible pipe orvent duct from my snorkel type inlet and route it directly to the exhaust.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Registered Member

I would still cover your inlet from the fender well (if yours does that) with something. my idea was that if I didn't like it, I could just tape the hole shut in the airbox and puncture through the tape I used to cover the fender well hole.

good luck to you

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I logged my IAT today (after the car had been warmed to full hot with the drive to work) and had a minimum of 69.8 deg F average of 73.4 and a max of 93.2. Not very hot! My intake is on the opposite side of the engine bay as the exhaust tho so a hot air intake isn't that easy unless i move everything around.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

slight bump...

just an update. i've had some failures w/ dryer vents(tubing) even as temporary tests. there's not much room for routing under the hood of this car(prizm).

i recently blocked the fender well inlet and turned the snorkel(top) inlet around, facing the engine. scangauge shows a temp increase of ONLY ~10-15*F above ambient temps.

i might enlist the help of a buddy to help me fabricate something to route to the exhaust. i do not have the tools or equipment needed to bend, weld, or what not.

i don't want to modify the stock air intake such that it won't be easily reversible. some of you have done that, and that's great, but not for me.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
i don't want to modify the stock air intake such that it won't be easily reversible. some of you have done that, and that's great, but not for me.
I'm right there with you on that one. I've never been a fan of irreversible mods.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
i recently blocked the fender well inlet and turned the snorkel(top) inlet around, facing the engine. scangauge shows a temp increase of ONLY ~10-15*F above ambient temps.
well now that the cold snap is over, the 10-15* is now closer to 20. had 105* max today, putting the water temp to near 200.

maybe i'll mod it so that routing to the exhaust manifold is easily reversible(like an on road adjustment)and use it ONLY on cold days.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #10

my HAI runs 150-160f IATs I can adjust this by allowing a small amount of air from the cold side to blend with the hot

Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote