Wash & Wax experiment - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-15-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

Wash & Wax experiment

I'm going to buy a bar of detailers clay and thoroughly wash and wax my eclipse. I haven't made a final determination on which wax I will use. However, I'm going try and find out what the Nascar guys (and some of the World Of Outlaws sprint car guys) use to wax their race cars. I never would have thought of this, but I remembered seeing Steve Kinser (World of Outlaws) sprint being waxed before a race.

It can't hurt to try, right?

Old 05-15-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by exponent View Post
It can't hurt to try, right?
Be careful, you might get some elbow grease on the car...

Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

Well it might be worth a tenth of a second a lap at 200mph.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

No, it will not hurt. I don't think it will help your mileage. At least your car will look nice. I know air race planes are waxed for performance, but they move a bit faster than your Mits.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I keep my xB pretty clean and polished with RejeX which is used on Jet aircraft and I notice very high mileage readings when it is freshly polished - higher than usual. It sure feels a lot slipperier with a fresh application of the RejeX too. The bottle will not stay on the hood - just slides off - and the hood is fairly level.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

I think somewhere on TV a study was done about clean v dirty. It may have been Shell that ran it to tout there gas cleaner additive. Anyway they kept one car washed and waxed and the other just hosed off. Over the length of the trial (2000 mile?) the clean car did get better mileage by 1 to 2 mpg. This does make a difference in my opinion. If you run you hand over a very clean and waxed car the surface is very smooth. One that is clean but not waxed is ruff, you can feel the drag. This drag resists the wind and creates some drag.
I keep my car as clean as possible and smooth as possible. It may only help a little but every little bit helps.
1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
Registered Member

I'm thinking the benefit won't be reached until 40mph+ I'm hoping to be able to squeeze another mile or two per hour out of my car with the windows down. or at least my windows cracked and my sunroof cracked. This way, the venturi effect of wind passing over my sunroof (which is only open in the back) will help to pull air through the cracked windows.

Its probably a stretch in physics, but I'm going to try it. The car could use waxed anyways.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Registered Member

Dont think it will help to wax the primer on mine. I know my buddy who is going to paint it would be very upset, and I would have to work a lot more to get it ready for paint.

Once its painted I'll keep a good coat of wax on it and see if it helps.

regards
gary
Old 05-15-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Registered Member

I seriously doubt that waxing a car is going to make a significant difference, mileagewise. That being said, it will make the car prettier, making you want to go for a nice, long drive down some pretty road to a place you really enjoy. You will be enjoying the ride, so you might drive just a bit slower than you normally do to and from work. Because the car is a little shinier than usual, you will have a smile on your face, and will be less subject to being pissed off by other drivers, lowering the level of anger on the highway, and helping others get better mileage themselves. Because of all this, that trip will probably get you a bit better mileage than usual, but it won't be strictly because of the wax....

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:47 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
LOL....but you'll be using more gas than usual, because you took a trip you otherwise wouldn't have taken.