Wash & Wax experiment - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
I seriously doubt that waxing a car is going to make a significant difference, mileagewise. That being said, it will make the car prettier, making you want to go for a nice, long drive down some pretty road to a place you really enjoy. You will be enjoying the ride, so you might drive just a bit slower than you normally do to and from work. Because the car is a little shinier than usual, you will have a smile on your face, and will be less subject to being pissed off by other drivers, lowering the level of anger on the highway, and helping others get better mileage themselves. Because of all this, that trip will probably get you a bit better mileage than usual, but it won't be strictly because of the wax....
haha, I really enjoyed this reply. EOC has a similar effect. Even if having the engine off only saves a small amount of gas if the engine was otherwise idling--because you are bothering to turn the engine off means you are going to be more conscious about saving gas--thus drive slower and glide longer.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjswan View Post
Im not driving when I don't really need to, but I take long relaxing drives twice daily--on the way to work and on the way home. I agree, when the car is clean and shiny it is easier to relax and enjoy the ride. The good mileage is a by-product of that attitude.
You've got just about as much commute now as I had 10 years ago driving from Lancaster to City of Industry, and back again. Was driving a 5-liter 1985 Lincoln Continental at the time...a somewhat detuned version of your car...not getting near what you are getting...mostly got around 20-21mpg then...but that was going about 75 or so...always did just slightly better after a visit to the car wash...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:41 AM   #23
Registered Member

People tend to go to the carwash when they're expecting a week of sunny fine weather, not when they're expecting a week of rainy, dirty weather.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
People tend to go to the carwash when they're expecting a week of sunny fine weather, not when they're expecting a week of rainy, dirty weather.
I've been washing both cars weekly for a couple months now. It's supposed to attract rain when you do that...so far no luck. (Maybe because the last time it threatened to rain, I bought new wiper blades...best way to ward off rain!)

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
I've been washing both cars weekly for a couple months now. It's supposed to attract rain when you do that...so far no luck. (Maybe because the last time it threatened to rain, I bought new wiper blades...best way to ward off rain!)
wash wax wipers and rainx
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #26
Registered Member

I always feel like the cars cut through the air better after an extensive wash and wax. Maybe it is just in my head but I would love to see some actual real data on this. A wind tunnel would be the most accurate way to see if it really works.

No matter what it cannot hurt.

-Nate

Total Cost w/ equip: $630.00
Gallons of Gas saved: 7.93
Total savings so far@4.06: $32.2

Balance... $597.80
HondaTorneoSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #27
Registered Member

Just a thought, maybe making a tape recording of the of the wind noise inside the car before and after washing would give us some insight.
flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Data is best to ward off skeptics but I wouldn't totally discount how it feels to you when you're driving your own car.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #29
Registered Member

let the kids throw mud at the car and log mpg h
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetone marty View Post
Funny you have this thread, I actually tried this the other day we are going on a long trip and the wifes ford focus hasnt been waxed for years it has a lot of road tar and old bugs on it the paint feels real rough. I have a 25 km test coarse on the hwy that i use when ever i make a FE mod so i tried it before i waxed and scangauge gave me an even 51 mpg which has been fairly consistent give or take 1/2 mpg, came home cut polished and waxed did another run got my highest reading ever at 52.9 mpg, so take it for what its worth not the best controlled test but seemed to me to make an improvement.
I'm glad to hear that all of the hard work is paying off in some way besides just looking nice and protecting the paint.

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote