water injection and engine vacuum question - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #11
Registered Member

The problem with the bubbler method is that engine vacuum is inversely related to load. Generally, you want more water entering the engine with an increase in load. There's probably a place where the curves intersect, but it's been my experience that the bubbler puts a damper on things.

Either way, good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #12
Registered Member

That's where we stone age folks with carbs have an advantage over those of you with fuel injection.

Only carbs also have venturi vacuum ports and venturi vacuum is directly proportional to load. More air through the carb's venturi (more load) means more venturi vacuum.

But, I think that this is the ONLY advantage to having a carb And I honestly haven't even tried water injection yet.

I wish there was a seperate top ten mpg list for older cars with carbs , maybe I could have a respectable position there...

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #13
Registered Member

Use a windshield washer pump on a manually-controlled rheostat, or leave it on and throttle a needle valve to control flow (hoses would have to run through the dash though).

Better yet, find some fancy way to pull the voltage/current from the TPS and use that to control the pump RPMs. Or simply attach a rheostat to the gas pedal somehow. I like the rheostat in the dash though -- simple, independent control.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:17 AM   #14
Registered Member

Jim Dunlop what's TPS? my car's pertty basic (not scangauge compatible etc...)
so i'm all in favour for a basic solution.

i'd like to use as littel additional parts as possible and i would like to avoide a pump as i don't have one...

for now what's holdign me back is the needle vanve and the bubbler. haven't found either yet, but than again i haven't had much time to look around

i do have a suitale container that would fit in the engine bay on the right front fender.

i did try to myst more ware above the open carb... not much effect, maybe slightly higher rmp but hard to tell.

i also put a few drops of water directly in the carb... not effect
and squirted the whole syrige that i'd been useing in it... engine stalled... i suppose that's hydroloc.

so i'm affraight the only way 'ill be able to test this is a functional setup that's reliable to take on the road for a week.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to unstable bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarhighway View Post
Jim Dunlop what's TPS?
TPS is throttle position sensor.

www.unstablebobgable.com

1973 AMC AMX: The beauty
1987 Buick T-Type: The beast
2004 Cavalier: The MPG machine
unstable bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #16
Registered Member

lunarhighway- i'm not sure that your carb will have a TPS, this is a sensor found mainly on fuel injected engines. It tells the computer what position the throttle valve is in.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #17
Registered Member

ah ok another one of these devices from the future...
...no computer - so no TPS

i'm shooting for something with as little electronic and mechanical components as possible

perhaps i just build the standard "bubbler" design that goes behind the throttle plate... not perfect, but it's been claimed to work on old cars and that's what i've got... hopefully i'll find a store that sells these bubbly stone thingys next weekend so i can start testing these things...

i've you've got something imperfect you can work on the bad points... if you've got nothing... well than you've got nothing.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #18
Registered Member

OK! Go for it man and let us know how it turns out.

I've already bought a universal windshield washer pump and a 2 gallon gas container for my water injection project. I hope to complete it over the holidays.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
If you could get some heat from your exhaust, you might be able to get some steam. Convection should get the water moving.

Lunar highway, do you have a windshield wiper sprayer? If so then you have a basic way to try Water injection out.

I also will be setting up a little water injection thing when I get back to the states to try to find a misting nozzle. Just need to find a way to reduce the flow of the hose, as it it flowing more water than the 660 engine intakes. I think a Y back into the tank would make an easy reducer, or maybe another nozzle with a proportioning valve to the radiator for a sprayer there. Give it more spray to the radiator, and reduce the intake tract spray.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
If you could get some heat from your exhaust, you might be able to get some steam. Convection should get the water moving.
while i was talking to my dad about water injection he mentioned he tried the same thing back in his youger days, but he couldn't the water hot enough useing the exhaust... he thought cat converter do get much hotter so maybe that would work... only i don't have a cat so that's not an option.

i do have a window wiper sprayer on the car, but i'm not sure how i could convert that for water injection? just hook the pump up to a swithch and place a nozzle in the carb?

as for reducing the flow, i'd take the same approach as with fuel. there's a small reservoir with an a duct routing exess fuel back to the fueltank