--- What temp to heat Gas to? --- - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 AM   #21
Registered Member

I checked my thermostat and it appears to have a 195 degree thermostat btw.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #22
Registered Member

I'm using a fuel heater on my Geo Metro. An image can be seen here

www.livesteaming.com/metro.htm

I have to admit I was nervous about using but after running it disconnected from the fuel supply for a week I hooked it up.

The copper fuel line got too hot to touch without fuel. With fuel it is just warm.

I cannot tell you if this mod has made a difference because I do not have the time to test every mod individually. I'm happy though with the current approx. 62 mpg.

TH

Trevor Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #23
Registered Member

I don't mean to criticize, but I am curious why we would want to heat the fuel when the manifold is heated, and with the warm air intake the fuel would quickly become whatever the intake air temp is.
flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #24
AMX
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip1 View Post
Liquid to air intercoolers are capable of exceeding 100% efficiency, however I have not seen them used to heat another liquid. I am watching this thread. keep in mind gasoline boils at 110*f unpressurised pressurizing it to 55psi only raises the boiling point to 159.8*f I would be careful with this project. very careful.
Nothing can be more than 100% efficient. If something is more than 100% efficient, then you are creating energy from nothing, and have just solved all of the worlds problems!!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Fuel injection has a cooling effect as the fuel evaporates into the air causing a drop in temperature. If you can add the heat needed to make the fuel vaporize you wont have to take it from the air after injection. Toyota relies on this for their Tundra and 4Runner TRD supercharger kits.

Why heating the fuel gives a benefit? The point of a WAI is to make the air less dense so you are basically decreasing displacement by decreasing the amount of air the engine can take in. This means you have to give the engine more throttle to get a given amount of power and you get reduced pumping losses as a result. The heated fuel keeps the air from cooling down just before it enters the cylinder.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMX View Post
Nothing can be more than 100% efficient. If something is more than 100% efficient, then you are creating energy from nothing, and have just solved all of the worlds problems!!
liquid to air intercoolers can cool the charge air to a temperature lower than the ambient temperature exceeding 100% efficient. This requires very cold water on the coolant side. an air to air intercooler maxes out at 70% efficient due to the fact that it is using air to cool the charge instead of water. I am not trying to solve any problems just explain the difference between an air to air and a water to air charge (inter) cooler. the water to air is capable of exceeding 100% due to not relying on the air for all of it's cooling capacity.
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Just because it cools to less than ambient doesn't mean it's over 100% efficient. To be over 100% efficient the intercooler would have to cool the air going through it to a temperature lower than the coolant going into the cooler.

What you are talking about is just 70% efficiency with a lower starting point than ambient which is why it can cool to lower than ambient.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #28
AMX
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip1 View Post
liquid to air intercoolers can cool the charge air to a temperature lower than the ambient temperature exceeding 100% efficient. This requires very cold water on the coolant side. an air to air intercooler maxes out at 70% efficient due to the fact that it is using air to cool the charge instead of water. I am not trying to solve any problems just explain the difference between an air to air and a water to air charge (inter) cooler. the water to air is capable of exceeding 100% due to not relying on the air for all of it's cooling capacity.
It's like 'dkjones96' explained it. He is correct. NOTHING can be more than 100% efficient. It defies the laws of Physics. Also, I have never known of anything being 100% efficient. There are always losses.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #29
Registered Member

In my opinion this is nuts. All of you know that when you heat the gas you are running on mostly vapors which are much more volatile than liquid. I wouldn't feel safe in a car that the fuel was 400 degrees.
Am I wrong or right in this thinking?
exhaustartist@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #30
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustartist@gmail.com View Post
In my opinion this is nuts. All of you know that when you heat the gas you are running on mostly vapors which are much more volatile than liquid. I wouldn't feel safe in a car that the fuel was 400 degrees.
Am I wrong or right in this thinking?
Oh no, you are so right But that is why I am trying to find an ideal temperature to heat it to, I do not want to go 1000000F if I am going to explode! Hahaha