When to Fill up at the station to get the best value. - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2006, 12:37 PM   #21
RGR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
I think that what this is talking about is essentially making sure that any gas that is between the pump and the nozzle, is put into your tank. Essentially you turn the handle so that the hose is coming out the top and then you hold the hose so that the hose has a downhill run to the pump.

I don't know how much gas you get, but you do get a little bit. My brother used to fill his motorcycle with gas from the hoses, when he worked at a station and he could always get enough gas to go a few miles more.

I think you get a little, but hey it's going in your tank or it's going in the next guy's. Your choice?
I used to do that when I first started driving, and the gas station guy showed me that
the next guy would start out owing a couple cents to refill the hose...
He showed that after the pump reset on the next sale it registered what
I had fudged out of the hose!
Most hoses these days won't let you drain them like that, some kind of
valve that will not open with the pump off...

RGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:33 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
yup and it is also a safety feature so the hose is not presurized when the pump is turned off in case of a break in the hose.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #23
Registered Member

Hey I got gas today and pumped until full - maybe not completely but I did spill some and it only took 9.511 gallons and ScanGauge indicated I burned 9.9 gallons - is the temp compensation on a hot day going to give me better gas mileage because it pumped more "hot expanded" gas into my tank giving teh BTU of gas that would have been at standard temperature so that the next tank of gas will yield less MPG when the gas cools off (or heats up more)?
Old 07-20-2006, 05:00 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
AHHHHHHHH The whole point of underground tanks is stable temeratures so I don't think you will be seeing any big change in the density of fuel between morning and night. Maybe better to gas up just after the tanks are filled or just before they are empty - fresh (cold tanker truck) gas or less volatile components (already evaporated off in the tank).
Gas in the tanks will be pretty much at ground temps....EXCEPT right after it is delivered...because the truck and storage tanks are above ground.

BIG NO NO...fill up with cold gas and then park your car right away on a hot day?

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #25
Registered Member

I already lost $0.30 from not getting it a day earlier from the price increase . . . so I didn't have a lot of choice about getting it then at whatever temp it was at. Maybe time for the IR Temp Probe during fillup. My question is if the gas is warm then they gave me more than indicated to compensate for it being expanded already and thus it took less to fill my tank giving me the illusion of having burned less than expected. The next tank should show less MPG because the expanded gas was used to fill it instead of normally colder gas that would have expanded in my tank. Anyway time will tell. Got 49mpg driving back from the fillup so it
Old 11-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #26
Registered Member

Glad someone mentioned getting the drips, I'm a believer myself.

I don't know if it's just rural areas in AL, or if it's everywhere, but there are still a good many pumps that aren't digital, and have a switch on the pump to turn it off. Anyway, a year or two ago ( when gas started going up) I decided I would shake, twist, lift the hose and squeeze the pump to get every drop I could. sometimes I lift the nozel out just enough to see how much is comming out, and when I can, I turn off the pump and then squeeze the trigger to get everything out of the hose. I know it's not much, but as much as I've done this, I like to think it's given me alittle extra (free) gas collectivly.

I have considered going pump to pump with a small container (perhaps after the station is closed) but I guess my concious would preffer I not do that.

honda_afford is offline   Reply With Quote