xylene?? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

xylene??

Anybody out there experiment with xylene for mileage. I just saw an updated article that says it is a big mileage gainer.

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ultra5.htm

benhuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: xylene??

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhuey
Anybody out there experiment with xylene for mileage. I just saw an updated article that says it is a big mileage gainer.

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ultra5.htm
I have, actually. Xylene is basically what is added to gasoline to increase its Octane Rating. I used to buy it by the 5-gallon can and mix my own 100-Octane fuel for my Turbo EVO. Since the vehicle required a higher octane to function at it's peak, I noticed 2-3 more MPG with the addition of it and LOT more power and boost. For the average, normally aspirated, regular-compression engine that requires 87-Octane, I don't see any reason in using it. I'll read the article to see what it sez...

RH77

Old 04-27-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

If you had an engine with a

If you had an engine with a knock sensor and it was retarding spark due to knock, this would help raise the octane of the fuel, stopping the knock, and allowing it to advance and run more efficiently.

If your engine can run fully advanced on 87 octane, I bet it buys 0 mpg.

Yeah, I've got a race car too, and I used to mix this or toulene with 93 octane to raise the octane a bit. I've since detuned it a bit to run on 93 again.
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote