Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Question about car warming up from a newbie (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/question-about-car-warming-up-from-a-newbie-12884.html)

BE350 09-02-2010 09:29 PM

Re: Question about car warming up from a newbie

Hey Guys,

Thanks for helpful opinions.

BE350

GasSavers_GasUser 09-03-2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 154497)
Owner's Manuals (YES! They DO exist! :eek: ) usually say to start it and take right off. Googling the topic also reveals bodies of knowledge that say prolonged idling for "warming up" is a poor way to warm up and actually creates MORE wear because driving it straight off warms it up so much faster, not to mention that the idling creates excess emissions and burns fuel.

Besides, you are in CA and do not even know what "cold" is.

Yes, I agree.

Plus, driving it warms the entire drivetrain and not just the engine. Your 02 sensors will go to closed loop faster leaning out the fuel burn. Once your entire drivetrain (and fluids) are at normal running temps, you will get the best fuel economy too.

Just some additional thoughts.

i-DSi 09-04-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEEF (Post 154493)
I literally get in the car and go. I do the seatbelt and all that other stuff before I crank it. it sits cranked for less than a second before I go.

I'm with you man. Same for me. Start an go. Of course I take it easy the first miles. Not that I race after 5 miles...;)

GasSavers_JoeBob 09-04-2010 08:28 PM

Same as everyone else has said. I'm up here in the Antelope Valley, still LA County, but we do know what cold is somewhat.

Summer time, get in and drive. Winter time, get in and drive, but don't need to turn on the A/C.

FrugalFloyd 09-05-2010 10:29 AM

Ditto. If the engine's running, it should be doing work. Otherwise, you're wasting fuel and money.

add|ct 09-05-2010 09:34 PM

One thing I won't do is run the air at all until I'm actually out of the road for a minute or two, if its needed otherwise just vent. I usually just crack both front windows as long as I'm in stop and go at first, but as soon as it can be done I'll typically just turn my vent on low.

slurp812 09-07-2010 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 154494)
I like to let it run for 5-10 seconds just to make sure oil is fully flowing before I drive.

I think my manual says 30 seconds when its really cold. In the summer, I start, and drive nicely for the first few miles...

theclencher 09-07-2010 05:43 PM

Cold meaning below freezing, not when you might want a windbreaker on.

BTW, I think autostarts should be made illegal. They lead to widespread idling abuse. :mad:

SeanHenry 09-16-2010 04:40 PM

Start the car and drive the only time I do not do that is when I have to clear the snow and ice from my car.

NEVER LEAVE A CAR RUNNING IN A GARAGE!
Look up carbon-monoxide poisoning and remember just because it does not kill you right away it does build up in your body.