Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Need some ideas for my front undertray (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/need-some-ideas-for-my-front-undertray-1652.html)

SVOboy 01-26-2006 10:58 AM

Quote:Since I've apparently

Quote:

Since I've apparently offended you, first I apologize.
Nah, I don't get offended easily, I need to clean the piece of **** off. You should see all the bird crap on the hood (which I've never had before, think I got it when I was working on my friend's car).

Quote:

Since the lips applied to the area in front of the wheels on the Insight reduce drag, could a similar lip be constructed across the entire front underside so the air is directed away from the underside of the vehicle - this way, trays wouldn't be entirely necessary. Last, for the air to exit the vehicle effectly, perhaps a diffuser on the rear would offer clean flow.
Thanks for these suggestions. I was gonna do a lip then I realized I'd have to screw up the front to attach it and I don't want to, going to attach something to the undertray to help this so I don'ty screw up my front trim pieces on the outside (in case I get a good lip).

I haven't worked on this though because I want to find out how to do it without creating lots of drag and therefore downforce. Rear diffuser is in the works. Disco is designing one for his CRX I will copy or adapt.

I plan on doing the wheel blocks also, seems like a fun little thing. But I'm not going to make much protruding until I lower it and know what's gonna to smash off while I'm driving.

Thanks all for the input, hope I'll get it on tonight.

rh77 01-26-2006 12:18 PM

Dirt/Salt

Thanks for taking the comment lightly. The last thing I want to do is be an *** on here. I take comfort in the comradery here, and don't want to screw that up.

As for my ride, it's in dire need of washing too -- mud and salt, plus the construction at the airport leaves a constant layer of dust/silt when I'm parked there during the week. Right now, it's an embarassment, but it's supposed to rain, then ice, then snow this weekend so forget it.

I also got to thinking about your front bumper area. Would a bra or similar mask round-out the indentions (for the fog-light area) etc? I want to do that to my car, but they probably don't make a bra that goes over the whole front air dam. It's essentially a vinyl fabric, with a soft polyester backing and hooks attached to elastic bands. I'm not a tailor, but I could probably get my mother-in-law to sew some material together and try it out -- this would have a 2-pronged effect: keeps the cold air off of the radiator and improve wind resistance.

RH77

MetroMPG 01-26-2006 12:28 PM

Re: Dirt/Salt

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77
this would have a 2-pronged effect: keeps the cold air off of the radiator and improve wind resistance.

3rd benefit: keeps the bug guts off the paint in the summer. :)

i haven't decided yet, but i may try to make one out of the same material you described. i've made sail covers for my boat before - so i might try to use a sewing machine to tackle this idea also.

SVOboy 01-26-2006 12:47 PM

Bras are ugly. I'm planning

Bras are ugly. I'm planning on filling the fog hole with some stuff, meh, and then I'm gonna to plexi for the radiator block I think. Good idea though. Bras do look good on some cars, but then again, looks are opinion based.

MetroMPG 01-26-2006 12:52 PM

true, true. my main

true, true. my main resistance to the bra idea is looks based. i'm reluctant to stick too many things on the outside of the car (wheel skirts, bra). hmm, just noticed there's a gender bias in the language of aero add-ons. no wonder we're so self-conscious about these mods!