Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Window screen vaporizer (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/window-screen-vaporizer-8285.html)

kamesama980 05-10-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flapdoodle (Post 98969)
This was an interesting and inexpensive experiment, but has not worked for me. Using the same "test path" I got 9.04 MPG without the air conditioner on. Previous test was 12.96 MPG with the air conditioner on. The pantyhose filters will be removed.

I think it's a little too tight of a mesh, not enough open space. you're trying to break up the gas droplets, not filter everything out.

GasSavers_RoadWarrior 05-12-2008 08:01 AM

Yup, considering aviation pioneers used oiled silk for lifting surfaces, you're only a PCV splurge away from effectively sealing off your intake altogether :D

Ford Man 06-05-2008 12:20 PM

I had an extra spacer that goes between the TB and the intake so I have glued a screen to both the top and bottom of it and will eventually get around to testing it. Right now I am testing the results of adding a tube of Xado and 1 oz FP-Plus per 10 gallons. Looking at my gas gauge it looks like I am getting good results from these two mods. It will be reported in the garage as soon as I get results. Sure wish my ScanGauge worked on OBD1 since that is my test car.

Lug_Nut 06-05-2008 12:29 PM

High rise manifolds are expensive, but increase the performance or cut fuel needed for same performance.
Spacers between the carburetor or throttle body injectors and the manifold will do the same distance increase as the high rise manifold.
Forget the screen, just add the spacers.
Not of any use with port injection or direct injection.

kamesama980 06-06-2008 01:19 PM

tried a stainless screen... no noticeable change. used a rubber/fiber gasket on either side sandwhiching the screen. might try adding another layer at 90* just because it was mentioned to do better test procedures but since it didn't hurt any, I'm not gonna bother taking it out. oyea and lots of RTV in the middle of the sandwhich too.

if you're ever looking for stainless screens, take a trip to any department or home products store and look for sink/bathtub strainers. they're stainless, already domed usually, and about $.75 ea. tops

JV-Tuga 06-06-2008 02:06 PM

Aren't there faucet aerators that are also domed and stainless? Might be cheap too. less than $75, that's for sure. I think you meant to say $.75, right?

COMP 06-06-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JV-Tuga (Post 104360)
Aren't there faucet aerators that are also domed and stainless? Might be cheap too. less than $75, that's for sure. I think you meant to say $.75, right?

yep,,,I agree

kamesama980 06-07-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JV-Tuga (Post 104360)

I did mean... corrected. the problem is that most faucets are 3/4" wide at most. that wouldn't even fit one of the carbs on my bike with enough left to hold it. my trucks throttle body is 1.5-2" wide. the drain screen fit perfectly