Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Wash & Wax experiment (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/wash-and-wax-experiment-8405.html)

GasSavers_Pete 05-16-2008 08:53 PM

exponent,
Good luck with the experiment and I would be interested in your results.

Pete.

oneinchsidehop 05-17-2008 08:41 AM

I think it's a good idea to try, especially with your Eclipse which is pretty good aerodynamically already, so laminar flow would effect it more than some cars where the flow is so turbulent that it barely touches the paint anyway.

(I think if I washed and waxed my Subie I would see a marked difference, not because of the airflow, just because it's usually covered in about 200lbs of dust, rust and mud. Someone once told me I'd need to file an environmental impact statement before washing my car. :rolleyes: )

ArtFox 06-04-2008 08:43 AM

Lufthansa doing the same!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo (Post 99987)
I keep my xB pretty clean and polished with RejeX which is used on Jet aircraft and I notice very high mileage readings when it is freshly polished - higher than usual. It sure feels a lot slipperier with a fresh application of the RejeX too. The bottle will not stay on the hood - just slides off - and the hood is fairly level.

Deutsche Lufthansa AG, Europe's second-largest airline, is one of several that has begun washing planes more frequently, said Lott, pointing out that dirt on a fuselage increases wind resistance.

Ford Man 06-04-2008 09:05 AM

I have also noticed when I put RainX on my windows it makes them a lot slicker, so I don't just put it on the windshield I put it on all the windows. I don't know if it helps mileage or not but it sure helps in the rain. It might be something else you want to experiment with to find out. I have always seemed to get better mileage when my car was washed and had a good coat of wax on it. I have always thought if it was waxed the air would move over the surface of the car with more ease resulting in higher mileage. I always try to wax right before taking a long road trip.

mkiVX 06-04-2008 09:16 AM

i have to try this

theholycow 06-04-2008 09:27 AM

Jet airplanes go a lot faster than cars, and their aerodynamic needs are far different. There's no question that a smoother, cleaner surface will flow air better, but I question whether it's enough to cause a gain worth the very small cost at the speeds that we go.

Rain-x and wax are great for preventing snow and grime from sticking to your car, though.

Ford Man 06-05-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 103919)
Jet airplanes go a lot faster than cars, and their aerodynamic needs are far different. There's no question that a smoother, cleaner surface will flow air better, but I question whether it's enough to cause a gain worth the very small cost at the speeds that we go.

Rain-x and wax are great for preventing snow and grime from sticking to your car, though.

I use the RainX and wax more for the protective properties, but just thought it was worth mentioning. A little increase here a little there equals a lot over all. The largest cost to either is the elbow grease it takes to do it, not a lot of fun on 95-100 degree days, but those electric buffers sure help ease the pain.

bockwho 06-06-2008 12:27 PM

yea we are having our airplanes cleaned and polished again also

I like american airlines ... smooth alum.. no paint no extra weight. easy to clean no touch ups needed always looks good.

on the other side you see cyclist in the wind tunnel and they add bumps to the back of thier suit to help the air break off them

oh well.

kb

COMP 06-06-2008 02:11 PM

a clean car runs better :thumbup:

mjswan 06-06-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBob (Post 100090)
I seriously doubt that waxing a car is going to make a significant difference, mileagewise. That being said, it will make the car prettier, making you want to go for a nice, long drive down some pretty road to a place you really enjoy. You will be enjoying the ride, so you might drive just a bit slower than you normally do to and from work. Because the car is a little shinier than usual, you will have a smile on your face, and will be less subject to being pissed off by other drivers, lowering the level of anger on the highway, and helping others get better mileage themselves. Because of all this, that trip will probably get you a bit better mileage than usual, but it won't be strictly because of the wax....

Im not driving when I don't really need to, but I take long relaxing drives twice daily--on the way to work and on the way home. I agree, when the car is clean and shiny it is easier to relax and enjoy the ride. The good mileage is a by-product of that attitude.