Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Throw away that front license plate (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/throw-away-that-front-license-plate-8362.html)

CryingStreetRacer 05-13-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opelgt73 (Post 99649)
It was also the most expensive state I have gotten a car registered in. I just got my CRX HF titled and registered/tags in Ohio, it was $38. In IL it would have been $143. Actually it would be more than that the $38 included tax, IL would be $143 + sales tax (at a higher rate I might add).
/Rant.....Sorry I just really hate Illinois.

This is why I love taking my mail halfway across the country, having an off the books job(yes it is a legal job, I just don't officially work), have no leases in the state, and have a military dependant id. They can't make me do SH*T. My car is registered and tagged in arkansas, my insurance and my liscense are in a very slow area in texas, and I live in new york. Ahhhh...screw the system...

Bbasso 05-14-2008 09:59 AM

NY- two plates
SC- one plate.

Having a front plate increases the radar / radar area so the hwy cops have more to aim at. :boo:

101mpg 05-14-2008 10:38 AM

Washington state won't let you put covers over your plates either, and state troopers have tried to tell out-of-state vehicles THEY can't have them, due to using them to bounce the laser (they don't use radar any longer) off and being foiled.

The plate is actually one of the few flat metal surfaces they can aim at.

baddog671 05-14-2008 10:47 AM

I never put a plate on the front even though its illegal. It's stupid...

GasSavers_SD26 05-14-2008 11:07 AM

Motorcycles don't have front plates. :D

suspendedhatch 05-14-2008 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD26 (Post 99806)
Motorcycles don't have front plates. :D

Neither do Corvettes.

I agree with no front plate. Auto manufacturers clearly don't want it there!

theholycow 05-14-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101mpg (Post 99801)
Washington state won't let you put covers over your plates either, and state troopers have tried to tell out-of-state vehicles THEY can't have them, due to using them to bounce the laser (they don't use radar any longer) off and being foiled.

You can buy a spray-on coating that is invisible and deflects laser.

Just sayin'....

opelgt73 05-14-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suspendedhatch (Post 99808)
Neither do Corvettes.

Mine does, it has a removable cover that gives the front end a smooth look if you don't have to mount a front plate.

VetteOwner 05-14-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101mpg (Post 99801)

yup theier doing that here too. No covers and no frames (blocks the state lol)

1cheap1 05-14-2008 04:14 PM

I moved mine down and blocked the center part of the lower grill. It is slanted down and in and i just screwed it into the bumper. So my plated is visible but slanted down, wonder if this would foil the laser gun. I beat the top edge flat to meet the bumper. Would putting dimples like a golf ball onto the plate scatter the laser? Just a thought.